The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Oversized rings

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlowChild3

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 19, 2005
Dayton, Ohio
I found a block with a fresh bore and surfaced for $150. Sounds like a deal but makes me nervous of cracks, overbore ect ect... do they check for cracks before machine? Also is .020 oversized ring bad idea for 20lbs of boost? I searched the best i could from my phone... thanks!

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

there's absolutely nothing wrong with going .020 size bore, as long as you have the right pistons & rings, you'll be fine

Machine shops do check blocks/heads over before beginning machine work... saves them from warranty (if any) troubles later down the road..

Although its always good to find out what machine shop did the work and their process

If you are building a forged bottom end to hold alot of power I would try to contact a machine shop locally and take your pistons you are going to use with you and have them check the bore and the diameter of the pistons to make sure the PTW clearance is acceptable. If you are building a stock bottom end to hold alittle bit more than stock power numbers then you can probably get away with just running it. I like to have the pistons with the block when it is bored to make sure the desired PTW is met. On the bottom of the block there should be stampings in either numbers or roman numerals stating what the bore was. It will usually show 2 2 2 2 or II II II II

NO!!!!

you will have to get .020 pistons to go in the .020 over bore, or you will have appox .023 PTW and alot of piston slap!

get your flavor of .020 pistons and matching .020 over rings!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back