The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Overheating need help with cooling

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbolence56

Proven Member
Jul 14, 2021
North_Carolina
Not sure this is the right place to post this, so moderators you can move it to the correct place if needed.

recently bought a 2g 97 gsx with FMIC and FP manifold and turbo.car wants to over heat after driving for 20 minutes or so. I have a/c and have to turn on the heater full blast just to keep the temps in check. OEM radiator, oem fans. I did notice that the over flow tank was empty. Not sure if that’s a contributing factor, though about checking for leaks and seeing if there is air in the system.

drove 4 hrs on the freeway and had to keep the heater on while driving, no smoke, car pulls fine. Just overheats.

also temp gauge rises to middle of gauge extremely quick like in 5 minutes and doesn’t overheat till 15-20 minutes later. I doubt it’s a head gasket as the temp will go back down when off throttle. But at idle it will rise.

any help appreciated, have ecm link so will check logs.

It was ok to make a gasket, either paper or rtv or both. I would add coolant half way up on the overflow then fill the system. I usually run the car with the cap off to watch it flow and add more coolant as needed but you do it however you feel best. You will want to burp the air out so that it is entirely full. Glad you found the "gremlin"!!! :thumb:
To add, I've found that massaging the lower rad hose can be very helpful in getting a majority of the air out of the system.

Try getting an oil pan off after someone has used "The Right Stuff" on it. I tell people to PLEASE do not use it on oil pans because you will bend it all up trying to remove it if and when that time comes. BUT.....it does seal, like forever. OMG
That's all I use for all my RTV gaskets including the oil pan! You are right, its a PITA getting the pan off but it seals well! Basically have to use a scraper and a rubber mallet to go all the way around and cut the rtv so the pan will come loose haha

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back