The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Cooling Issues, need advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EagleT97

Probationary Member
Oct 25, 2009
Houston, Texas
I've searched the forums and didn't find the answer I needed so here we go.

I have a 97 Talon ESI 420A
I recently replaced the thermostat, and radiator cap. I have driven it for about 200 miles since. What I have noticed now is that while driving on the highway or coming off at slower speeds and pulling up to a light my temp is going up. It hasn't hit red because I would throw on my A/C and to get both fans going.

What I noticed today while idling, the temp doesn't go up. When I rev the engine the temp begins to rise but no fans are coming on. I hit the A/C on and both fans come on and cools down and they stop.

My question is this, could my thermo switch be out? The radiator fan is the drivers side correct? Obviously the fan works, but just aren't coming on. I've disconnected the sensor and ran the drivers side fan directly to the battery and it works. OR could I be wrong and the passenger side fan is the radiator fan..

BTW, NO coolant leaks.

-------------------------UPDATE--------------------
So after driving for a little while longer I started to notice the smell of burnt coolant. I immediatly checked around the T-stat housing thinking perhaps the gasket was not holding. I get down the road and notice my Temp shoot up, so I stop and pull over. I am leaking bad, have it towed home.

After further inspection I find out it is what of my Heater hoses that is leaking. Now I have been trying for 3 days to get it loose and out of there but I am having problems with the clips and getting them open enough to pull the hose out. I have big arms and hands so it is a tight squeeze.

Any advice on how to get them out WITHOUT removing the intake manifold, because now that seems like my only option.

Last edited:
The AC fans is on the driver side and radiator is on the passenger. Did you bleed your coolant system after replacing the thermostat?

your system needs to be "burped". Sounds like you have bubles and pockets in it. Open your fill cap of hte thermo housing and let the car warm up. Turn your heat to all the way hot and your blower to full blast. Let it idle for a bit, maybe 10 minutes. Watch the colant in the neck and add when necessary.
It will slowly rise and fall when this hasn't been done. Typically notice it more during slow driving and not as much during highway.
Good luck

thank you, I will try this tomorrow. Also I noticed today that my upper radiator hose is collasped. So I know it is time for a new one. I also need to check the overfill hose as well.

thank you, I will try this tomorrow. Also I noticed today that my upper radiator hose is collasped. So I know it is time for a new one. I also need to check the overfill hose as well.

While your at it, if you have the car running to operational temp touch the radiator. If the radiator has cold sections that means that they are clogged.

Try checking the ressistance on your coolant sensor responsible for turning the fans on. Its a pizeo sensor so you will have varying resistance mattering on the ambient sensor. It sounds like your fans just arent turning on. Try doing this then tell us what your results are. If this is your problem but you for some reason cant afford the sensor turn your heat full blast but turn the action from recirculating to brining in new air. By doing this it acts as a fan cooling off the radiator.

Try checking the ressistance on your coolant sensor responsible for turning the fans on. Its a pizeo sensor so you will have varying resistance mattering on the ambient sensor. It sounds like your fans just arent turning on. Try doing this then tell us what your results are. If this is your problem but you for some reason cant afford the sensor turn your heat full blast but turn the action from recirculating to brining in new air. By doing this it acts as a fan cooling off the radiator.

THIS WAS THE PROBLEM, Thank you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back