The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Oregon Rally Track and School Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

architechnik

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 21, 2007
Glad, Oregon
As a math and business major, my final project involves starting a business. I've been researching the possibility of creating a Rally Track and School. :rocks:

Some of the bottom line research is fairly easy and I can figure out costs for doing business, but it's the other end, the level of interest for the northwest region I'm unsure about.

If you guys interested in getting into combination off-road (gravel/clay/dirt) and asphalt/concrete rallying could answer a couple questions, I'd appreciate it. Answer whatever you feel applies (seriously). If you want to check other tracks/schools to compare likely prices it might help in making decisions.

TRACK RENTAL
How far would you be willing to travel for legal track use?

How long of a track would you expect min-max?

Highly technical or higher speeds?

What would you be willing to pay for track rental?

Would you rent from us or bring your own vehicle?

TRAINING
How far would you travel for instruction?

What would you be willing to pay for basic school (~80 min seat time fwd, 45 min instruction)?

What would you be willing to pay for advanced school (~80 min seat time rwd/awd, 45 min instruction)?

RACES
How far would you travel for race day events/competitions?

Single car or multi-driver events?

What would you be willing to pay for entry fees?

Extras
What would you expect a rally tune-up (suspension tweaking, tire balance, inspections) to cost?

Would you buy race gas on site?

Would you buy/order parts from an on-site store?

Would you stay overnight if there was lodgings / would you camp if it had a campground?

I can truly only speak for myself but having done this for a while, I will try to give you my feeling of how most amateur competitors would answer these questions...

How far would you be willing to travel for legal track use?
For a testing/non-point event, about 6 hours is usually the limit.

How much would you be willing to pay per hour for use?
For a testing/non-point event about $100/day.

Highly technical or higher speeds?
I want to test to try out a new component or sort out a new car. I would want both. But if I have to choose between the two, I would prefer technical.

What would you be willing to pay for track rental?
For a testing/non-point event about $100/day.

Would you rent from us or bring your own vehicle?
Always bring my own vehicle.

How far would you travel for instruction?
80 min instruction? I'm guessing 2-4 hours.

What would you be willing to pay for basic school (~80 min seat time fwd, 45 min instruction)?
Most folks believe $100 to $300 is reasonable. NASA has an excellent model.

What would you be willing to pay for advanced school (~80 min seat time rwd/awd, 45 min instruction)?
$500 is not out of the ordinary.

How far would you travel for race day events/competitions?
Regional/Local: 12 hours.
National events: up to 15 hours depending

Single car or multi-driver events?
Multi-car only. Wheel to wheel.

What would you be willing to pay for entry fees?
$300-$400 per weekend depending on the track

What would you expect a rally tune-up (suspension tweaking, tire balance, inspections) to cost?
I don't believe most amateur competitors want to pay someone to do this for them. If so, I would say $400-$500 depending upon the complexity of equipment (slow bump, fast bump, slow and fast rebound, 3rd spring, cross weight, etc)

Would you buy race gas on site?
Depending upon the class maybe. Usually no.

Would you buy/order parts from an on-site store?
Only in an emergency or when I forget to pack something.

Would you stay overnight if there was lodgings / would you camp if it had a campground?
Camping is extremely popular for track events...not so much for rally events. Oftentimes the hotel becomes the 'Rally Headquarters' and we stay there.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back