The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

open turbo, BAD?????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexrey09

Probationary Member
Nov 30, 2008
jacksonville, Florida
my downpipe just broke right nexyt to the turbo im wandering if i can keep driving the car like this until i get the $$$ to fix it???

what can cause this?
is not the motor mount ''poly mm''

and o2 sensor is not a big problem because never been connected!!

Attachments

• IMG01016-20110713-1853.jpg
    IMG01016-20110713-1853.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 67
I don't think it would be bad..

But its an exhaust job, just get er fixed.. I am sure a shop could fab something up for a decent price..

It's A bad idea to run that open like that. You're running the car and that turbo gets really warm, then you go to shut the car off cold air will get in there and it could crack the housing or warp fins on the turbine.

all you really need is a new dp and a new o2 housing. doesn't have to be expensive, $200 at most.

Watch out for melting everything in that region of the engine bay. Exhaust temps in the manifold are ~1500 or 1600 oF and in the DP are around 1200 oF. So, temps in that region gotta be around 1300 oF or so. This will melt anything plastic in that region.

Until you get it fixed for real, put some sort of metal tube on it that directs the gas to the pavement.

If it were me, I wouldn't drive that bad boy unless I really had to.

Did your down pipe have a bracket that bolted it to the block? If not, then that might have torqued the Dp, making what would ave been a crack into a break.

That or crappy metal in the DP.

Lots of miss information here. Its not going to be terrible for your car, but its not the best thing to do.

Turbos like the least amount of back pressure possible, your turbo will spool faster than ever, probably cause serious spiking and over boosting as well.

A majority of simply drag cars simply have a tube directed down out the bottom. Would they do this if it were to harm the car? Granted they are driving it a limited amount, however it still is "ok"

Now would i drive the car on a daily basis like this? No, it will be loud and can lead to serious engine damage from boosting.

it do not sound that bad or is maybe just me that i use to it because i have a exhaust cut off but the worse part is the over heating plus the exhaust is pointing right to the oil filter but yes thanks guys ill replaced for a 3'' dp by the way!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I wouldn't drive it because of the heat factor that has already been addressed elsewhere in this thread, because its loud and potentially allowing exhaust gas to filter into the passenger compartment, but also because that seems like a pretty easy way to bounce some road gravel up into your exhaust turbine. If you have to drive it, try to stay out of boost.

You are ok to drive so long as you keep out of boost and are driving to the exhaust shop to get it fixed up. All your exhaust heat is dumping out all around your alternator which is not good to have that much heat dumping on or around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the looks of your picture you have a custom o2 housing coming off the turbo going to the custom welded exhaust. Make sure when you replace you get a reliable dp and not a weld job again bro!

I don't see any electronics in your profile. So I'm guessing you're not tuned for full-time open loop operation. That means that you're probably already blowing plenty of unburnt gasoline out your exhaust, since the O2 sensor's been disconnected. This whole situation is about the best recipe I've ever seen for a catastrophic engine fire.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back