1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Bad compressor surge, bov wont open..... help

Posted by Corman12345, Jan 17, 2005

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. Corman12345

Corman12345 Proven Member

Joined Jun 22, 2003
    Laramie, Wyoming
    OK, This problem is completely baffling me. I have the greddy type s bov. One day i got in my car and noticed compressor surge after every shift. So i took the bov out, took it apart, inspected the vacuum lines and the bov flange. everything was normal. there is plenty of vaccuum in the line when disconnected. The bov just wont open anymore and i get mad compressor surge. boost gauge shows 18 mmhg vacuum at idle. any ideas.

2. RED&BlackGSX

RED&BlackGSX Proven Member

Joined Mar 24, 2004
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    is the greddy bov adjustable?. if so you might need to loosen some of the pressure on the spring. Maybe you have a boost leak somewhere.

3. Corman12345

Joined Jun 22, 2003
    Laramie, Wyoming
    the screw is backed all the way out. I don't think i have any boost leaks. i will check tomorrow though.

4. RED&BlackGSX

Joined Mar 24, 2004
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    also, make sure you are getting plenty of manifold vacume to the BOV. if your guage shows 18, then the bov should be getting 18 as well. heres a thought, sell the greddy bov, and buy a 1g bov, pocket the money and put it in another mod.

5. JwUoNoG

JwUoNoG Proven Member

Joined Aug 12, 2004
    Perry Hall/Parkville, Maryland
    I have the same problem. The screw is backed all the way out and it still flutters. But I think I might have a boost leak. Will a boost leak cause it to flutter?

6. RED&BlackGSX

Joined Mar 24, 2004
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    ya.. it flutters cuz it does'nt have enough pressure to open the valve.

7. Bigglesworth87

Bigglesworth87 Proven Member

Joined Nov 7, 2003
    San Diego, California
    Maybe you stripped out the adjustment screw. I stripped mine out and didnt realize it untill I had a horrible boost leak. :thumb: :talon:

8. Corman12345

Joined Jun 22, 2003
    Laramie, Wyoming
    I hooked a vac gauge up to the hose at the bov and it shows 18 hg vaccuum. I checked and don't have any boost leaks. I even installed one of my friends Greddy type RS bov and had the same results. I Also forgot to add that i run the blow through setup.