1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Oops.....Found a hose connected to nothing. Where does it go...?

Posted by femmeDSM, Feb 2, 2006

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. femmeDSM

femmeDSM Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2004
    D/FW, Texas
    Okay....Embarassing N00b Question Time!!! :coy: haha.

I've been fighting with stalling/idle issues for a while now, and earlier tonight I think I accidentally stumbled across my problem. I was fiddling around near the fuel pressure regulator area, when I saw the end of a hose poking out below the fuel rail. I pulled on it to see what it was attached to, and it's the large hose coming from the driver's side front of the intake manifold (took a pic).

I looked everywhere but couldn't figure out where it goes. It definitely sees vacuum at idle, because when I put my thumb over it with the car running, two things happened -- 1) it sucked like a Hoover, and 2) my freaking idle perfectly stabilized immediately :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I feel like a retard.....Where the heck does this go? :toobad:

(But hey, at least I found my problem. LOL)

Attached Files:

2. Black94DSM

Black94DSM Proven Member

Joined Jan 17, 2006
    Madison Heights, Michigan
    Looks like that should go to your FPR. Im pretty sure im right.

3. clipse0001

clipse0001 Proven Member

Joined Jul 26, 2005
    blacksburg, Virginia
    Is there one attached to your blow off valve? It may be that.

-Anton-

4. Booster-Shot

Booster-Shot Proven Member

Joined Jul 21, 2005
    Napa, California
    Yeah that looks like a fpr line to me.

edit- I just looked at it closer, and it looks too long WTF. Now Im thinking its to the bov. I just want to run out to my car and see.

5. femmeDSM

femmeDSM Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2004
    D/FW, Texas
    Thanks for the input guys...

It's definitely not the BOV line - the BOV is connected to an almost identical port directly to the left of this hose. Good guess though :thumb:

As for the FPR...You may be on to something. However...The FPR is connected to the hose pictured below. The clear tube in the pic is (obviously) T'd to the boost gauge. I see no other place that this hose could attach onto the FPR line. If you see something in this pic that I've missed, by all means let me know.

Just when I think I know these cars inside and out, something simple pops up and makes me look like an ass. LOL.

Attached Files:

6. Black94DSM

Black94DSM Proven Member

Joined Jan 17, 2006
    Its not the bov line, that one will be comming off the intake manifold just under the hand pictured. Its the FPR line. Looks like was a tee in there for a boost gauge too.

Edit - you beat me to the explination on the bov line. LOL

7. Black94DSM

Black94DSM Proven Member

Joined Jan 17, 2006
    Here you go,

Attached Files:

8. femmeDSM

femmeDSM Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2004
    D/FW, Texas
    I think we're on to something with it being the FPR line...However, this raises the million dollar question of "what is that hose (pictured in second post) that *currently* goes to the FPR"? I noticed that "T" in it as well, and thought WTF ??

Of course, this being such a simple thing, my Chrysler FSM doesn't even demonstrate the proper way these are supposed to be hooked up, so I have no reference. It's like I have one extra hose that doesn't go anywhere.....:confused:

9. femmeDSM

femmeDSM Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2004
    D/FW, Texas
    Hey, look at that! I must have read all 391 pages of my FSM looking for this, and you go and find it in five minutes. LOL.

10. Black94DSM

Black94DSM Proven Member

Joined Jan 17, 2006
    :p Having the DSM backup cd at the computer really does help. ROFL

If you still have your fuel pressure control solenoid then that line you have in your hand goes to it.

If you dont, then you can do this,

Attached Files:

femmeDSM likes this.
  11. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Proven Member

Joined Nov 17, 2005
    Citrus Heights, California
    [​IMG]

Sorry to hijack but could you really simplify the vacuum lines down to just that? Also I have my MBC between the wastegate and the nipple on the compressor inlet, not like your diagram. Is there any advantage of either setup?

12. femmeDSM

femmeDSM Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2004
    D/FW, Texas
    OK, I feel like a huge tool right about now....how something this simple can totally confuse me is beyond me, but I'm stumped by this. I went down to the car to hook everything back up the way it should be, and it just wouldn't work. No matter which way I hook it up, I always end up with an extra hose that goes nowhere. It's like there is supposed to be an extra male connector that's missing.....

See pic. (yes, I Photoshopped...I get bored).

I tried bypassing the fuel pressure solenoid by plugging hose C into the bottom of the "T" and hose B into the right side of the "T" (leaving the little piece coming out of the solenoid - Hose A - unattached). My car hated this, to say the least. Could barely keep it running.

What am I missing? :confused: :coy: This is ridiculous. I'm an intelligent person!!! This is just sad. :toobad:

Please, someone just spell this out for me like I'm a 5 year old. I would not mind doing away with the fuel pressure solenoid entirely (or the whole row of them, actually - emissions is not an issue). Is there a VFAQ on how to do this?

Sorry. :( Rep points for anyone who helps me. It's late and I'm frustrated, I guess. Haha.

Attached Files:

• fpr.jpg
      fpr.jpg
      File size:
      61.3 KB
      Views:
  13. jepherz

jepherz Proven Member

Joined Feb 24, 2004
    Kansas City, Missouri
    All of the lines that come off of the throttle body on a stock car are for the fuel pressure solenoid and other emissions (EGR, charcoal canister, etc.). YOU yourself probably can't remove them as you would fail your emissions test more than likely, and removing all that stuff won't gain you much.

You can get your WG boost/vacuum from anywhere that is goign to represent it. One reason to use something up by the throttle body, or even better yet, on the intake manifold, is that your wastegate will see exactly what you want it to see. This is important if you have your setup hooked up with, say an EBC, where you would want both your gauge and your EBC to see the same boost.

14. Black94DSM

Black94DSM Proven Member

Joined Jan 17, 2006
    Use the first image i posted since you have the emissions stuff still in your car. Now just tee into your fuel pressure vacuum line, the one actually going to your FPR. Hope that helps.

Connect Line A to Line B / the top of the Solenoid
    Connect Line C to the bottom of the Solenoid
    Tee your Boost Gauge line into the Vacuum line going to the FPR (im going to call it line A/B)

andymoraitis likes this.
  15. femmeDSM

femmeDSM Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2004
    D/FW, Texas
    Perfect.

Thank you :rocks: :thumb:

16. Black94DSM

Black94DSM Proven Member

Joined Jan 17, 2006
    Youre welcome, and for how to remove the extra emmisions crap go by the less cluttered pic that i posted. Everything else not pictured can get tossed.

17. femmeDSM

femmeDSM Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2004
    D/FW, Texas
    I noticed that the diagram you posted (emissions removed), the 91+ TB was pictured (with the 4 vac lines). I have one of the retarded early 1990 TBs that only has two vac ports. Will I need to do anything different, or do I just have less crap to remove...? Thanks again for the help. It's late and I guess I've been having a few "blonde moments" today, LOL.

18. Black94DSM

Black94DSM Proven Member

Joined Jan 17, 2006
    If im not mistaken you just have less to remove on your TB, ive never had a 90 TB to work with. But im sure its no big deal. Just follow where the lines go and if it deals with emissions, take it out and plug it on the TB. :rocks:

And yes it is late, almost 5 am........ :shrug:

19. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Proven Member

Joined Nov 17, 2005
    Citrus Heights, California
    My GSX is federal which I guess just omits the EGR solenoid? I have the 4 vacuum line nipples on the TB capped and the lines plugged. I only did this because it was recommended as one of the "free mods". Am I really gaining much from having them capped? Could there be any potential problems this may cause?

BTW, femmeDSM, glad to hear you got it figured out!