The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

OMFG! Sold me a 92 with a G4CP block! LIVID!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my_gst95

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 13, 2002
Sacramento, California
I pulled this motor out thinking this was going to be my project 6bolt rebuild...only to find out that when I pulled the head, it didn't have 63T pistons. Wth?? Looked on the front label (which is what I should have done in the first place) and sure enough, in big letters that seemed to glow in my facehole: G4CP. Words cannot express how pist I am since I was planning on building this pos up. That explains the 180* compression in 3 cylinders on this shitty sonta block... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Is there anyway of saving this paper weight if I plan on doing a build anyway (prevoius post)? Maybe I'm hoping the crank will at least be the same as a 4g63T, but I'm sure it's highly unlikely. And if I do have to replace the crank (maybe get a 4g64), is there anything else preventing me from doing the build? If it is indeed paperweight, at least I have something new for target practice :mad: :mad: :mad:

my_gst95

I am not familiar with the block codes but if it is a 2.0 NA then it is most likely a 4G63 NA with a new engine code and it will be fine to rebuild. If you are rebuilding I would suggest forged pistons. If it is a 1.8 or any other displacement then you are screwed.

Also if it is a 2.0 NA 4G63 then it makes a better block for a stroker since it doesnt have oil squirters and there is no worry of interference with them and stroker pistons.

Later

What are the differences in the G4CS (which I am assuming the reason that you purchased the engine) and the G4CP? I thought that the G4CS was only found in the 89-91 Sonata and was the only four cylinder engine available for them.

I wish it was a G4CS...But its the later model Sonata's which came as a 2.0L 6bolt dual overhead engine (G4CP). And I DID NOT buy this car cuz I knew it had a sonata engine in it. I had no idea it was swapped out before I bought it. I know what to look for next time I make a DSM purchase though, thats for sure. Here's some pics of the carnage:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The crank and the block look OK. If I have to keep this block and someone can verify this is the same crank as the 6bolt n/a & 6bolt turbo models, I'll definetly build it without the oil squirters. Else, I'll just buy my friends 2.4 G4CS.

my_gst95

forgive my ignorance, but what is a G4CP and G4CS?
Im assuming they are the versions of the hyundai 4g63's? right?

my_gst95 said:
Yea pretty much. G4CS = 4G64 (2.4L) G4CP = 4G63 N/A(2.0L)my_gst95

Actually, correct me if I'm wrong of course, but the G4CS block is the same exact engine block as the 6 bolt 4G63T except that it has 6mm more deck height allowing for the greater displacement via 100mm stroke, which is why it requires the use of the 2.4L timing belt (which is longer to accomodate for the difference in deck height), but everything else is the swaps right over. If you got a hold of a 4G63 N/A block, make sure it is the same as the regular 4G63T block, and sell the block to someone who wants it or build it yourself to whatever configuration you desire (2.3, 2.2, 2.0). Let us know what you plan to do since someone may be in the market for the block, should it be usable (I'm not, but who knows). Try the 1G NT section.

Injected said:
...the G4CS block is the exact engine block as the 6 bolt 4G63T except that it has 6mm more deck height allowing for the greater displacement via 100mm stroke, which is why it requires the use of the 2.4L timing belt

Umm...you just stated the G4CS is a 2.4L in a very long drawn out way LOL. So your right, G4CS = 2.4L which is same design as the 4G64 2.4L. I think I'm gonna ditch this N/A block. Selling it is a good idea though, as they sell preped N/A blocks on ebay as performance buildups for turbo applications. "SOME" believe squirters aren't neccisary when using forged rods/pistons anyway(raises hand). Maybe I'll do a picture right-up on my 2.4 build if there isn't already one in the Tech Guide.

my_gst95

my_gst95 said:
Umm...you just stated the G4CS is a 2.4L in a very long drawn out way LOL. So your right, G4CS = 2.4L which is same design as the 4G64 2.4L. I think I'm gonna ditch this N/A block. Selling it is a good idea though, as they sell preped N/A blocks on ebay as performance buildups for turbo applications. "SOME" believe squirters aren't neccisary when using forged rods/pistons anyway(raises hand). Maybe I'll do a picture right-up on my 2.4 build if there isn't already one in the Tech Guide.

my_gst95

Actually, I don't believe the castings are the same on the 4G64 and G4CS, but I could be wrong. I've yet to research the differences between the two builds, but I think that the main reason people like the G4CS is that everything is the same with the 6 bolt 4G63T exept the deck height, so making a 2.4L 4G63T is really a simple rebuild or buildup rather than a serious hybrid. Supposedly, the 1G head bolts right on with no machining.

I'm in the process of building a 2.3 stroker for my 92' DSM.

I am using the G4CP block as my plat-form for the build. I ended up tossing the front cover from the donner block I got. I was under the impression that the early first gen. DSM's had the same front cover as the Hyundai G4CP front cover.

I can get my 1G. front cover to fit on the G4CP block but 5 of the bolt holes do not line up. I was wondering if the front cover that came with your G4CP block had a crank angle sensor on it? I remember that the one I tossed had one. If yours does, do you wanna sell it? Thanks.

JamesTSI said:
I'm in the process of building a 2.3 stroker for my 92' DSM.

I am using the G4CP block as my plat-form for the build. I ended up tossing the front cover from the donner block I got. I was under the impression that the early first gen. DSM's had the same front cover as the Hyundai G4CP front cover.

I can get my 1G. front cover to fit on the G4CP block but 5 of the bolt holes do not line up. I was wondering if the front cover that came with your G4CP block had a crank angle sensor on it? I remember that the one I tossed had one. If yours does, do you wanna sell it? Thanks.
Doesn't the G4 block and the 100mm stroke make a 2.4L not a 2.3L?

As for the front cover, I believe the 93-94 front cover or the G4 works. I'll grab the link from the thread that was started not too long ago.

Here it is.

Hope that it helps.

my_gst95 said:
"SOME" believe squirters aren't neccisary when using forged rods/pistons anyway(raises hand)

(hand raised)

My 2.4 4gcs will not have oil squirters. I would like to have them but I dont feel it is necessary for my forged pistons (coated).

The block I have is a G4CP block which is a regular rebadged non-turbo 4G63 2.0 liter.

What I have found so far is that after 8/92 they use the 1 gen. dsm front case assembly.

Before 8/92 uses some other funcky front case assembly. Anybody have any other info to add?

Yeah, I ran into the same thing, until...about a week ago, I had no idea what front cover went to this 6-bolt block! Finally we got it all figured out, turned out to be the Hyundai 4g63 which has some funky ass front cover...but my stroker rotating assembly went in likie a charm and now all we are waiting on is that front cover...

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread, this will be the last. Post number 13 is wrong. The G4CP block will use the early 6 bolt front cover, UP TO 1995. After 95, they still used a six bolt crank but they used a front cover that only works on the 95-98 G4CP blocks. It kind of resemmbles a 7 bolt cover with the crank angle sensor on it. The oil filter housing from 95-98 on a G4CP is the only years also.

The g4cp and 4g63 are essentialy the same. Pistons, crank, everything WILL work. If it is post '95 you have to use hyundai specific front cover, tensioner, etc.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread, this will be the last. Post number 13 is wrong. The G4CP block will use the early 6 bolt front cover, UP TO 1995. After 95, they still used a six bolt crank but they used a front cover that only works on the 95-98 G4CP blocks. It kind of resemmbles a 7 bolt cover with the crank angle sensor on it. The oil filter housing from 95-98 on a G4CP is the only years also.

ok so this an old thread but is this true? because i have a G4CP block its a six bolt crank but oil pump has the 7 bolt hump and you can also put the crank sensor but pistons say "63T" thank god but my oil dipstick pops out extremely bad "BLOW BY" i haven't taken the head off but i did take the oil pan off and oil pump to do the BSE kit and all 4 piston heads were new and 2 rods and oil pump it has a COMETIC HG/ARP HEAD STUDS and head looks rebuild..and already have new dipstick. The also left the oil filter housing from the g4cp

So my question is do any of you think it could be that who ever did the build maybe put the rings up side down??? im lost help please

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back