The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Oil Return passages in head-confused?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweet97

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 6, 2004
auburn, New_York
Ok, I put a new head on today to replace a warped one. In checking the work after installing the valve train/cams I see only 4 return holes and a 1 I cannot see how oil would get to!? There are return holes in the firewall side corners and one in the radiator side/middle. Then the 4th is at the bottom of a cast in boss that almost touches the intake cam in the center. This is the one that I cannot see how oil would get to. This boss/tower is around 2.5" high. Someone help me out here please. Is this all normal? It is a 6-bolt motor. Oil can seem to get between the top of the valve cover and drop down but none of the places where it could drop back are over this tower under the intake cam. Confused. Thanks, Mark
PS: Then when looking down into these 3 oil return holes I can see the block and then part of the hole that would return the oil to the crankcase, not a direct shot to the case, oil hits the block first?
OK I think I have the tower figured out. Is it actually a crankcase breather passage into the head/valve cover area?

Thanks BISH. Freaked me out a bit as I had never seen one dry before and the machinist could have removed some casting flash to make the holes larger, but then I could have also. Mark
PS: Am I right about the crankcase vent?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back