The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Oil filters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pimpin81

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 14, 2007
bellingham, Washington
Got a new Talon tsi a few weeks ago got around to
Doing some preventive matience on it now I
Might have a problem .

Changed from a micro guard oil filter and unknow oil

To a wix oil filter and penzoil 10w 30

Seem to be having unusually low oil pressure at idol now the idiot light even faintly flicked a few times this scares the crap out of me.

So I want to get you guys opinion could my current oil and filter be the problem get too thin when it's hot and oil filter too restrictive ?

Have great oil pressure when driving and never had a pressure prolbem before the change.

Got a new Talon tsi a few weeks ago got around to
Doing some preventive matience on it now I
Might have a problem .

Changed from a micro guard oil filter and unknow oil

To a wix oil filter and penzoil 10w 30

Seem to be having unusually low oil pressure at idol now the idiot light even faintly flicked a few times this scares the crap out of me.

So I want to get you guys opinion could my current oil and filter be the problem get too thin when it's hot and oil filter too restrictive ?

Have great oil pressure when driving and never had a pressure prolbem before the change.

are you sure the seal on the old oil filter isnt stuck the the OFH and leaking oil? how many quarts have you put in? do you notice any oil leaking from anywhere else?

I have yet to check for any oil leaks. The old gasket from the old filter is differently not still there, if it's leaking anywhere it is possible I could have have cause a leak on the turbo drain pipe when I changed the exhaust manifold but not sure thats just a possibility. Oh yah and I put about 4.5 quarts of oil in it.

A brand new dsm, how about the condition of the pump? Could be a wiring issue, or sender issue too. You never know since you just got the car, and are unaware of the condition.

As suspected a small oil leak has developed at the turbo drain tube I was able to snug them down a little bit more and I put some cardboard down to monitor and further leakage

A brand new dsm, how about the condition of the pump? Could be a wiring issue, or sender issue too. You never know since you just got the car, and are unaware of the condition.

The pump seems to be in great condition as stated before this issue is new after recent matience. A leak was detected Dont know if that's the issue tho. I will monitor it in the mean time I have ordered a high flow k&n oil filter in an attempt to correct the prolbem .car has 118000 miles an is a 91 has new gates timing belt and new balance shaft belt on it.

When cold oil pressure is 3/4 up while driving it remains in this area give or take but recently when idoling it drops right off to almost nothing when warmed up.

Last edited:
As suspected a small oil leak has developed at the turbo drain tube I was able to snug them down a little bit more and I put some cardboard down to monitor and further leakage

The pump seems to be in great condition as stated before this issue is new after recent matience. A leak was detected Dont know if that's the issue tho. I will monitor it in the mean time I have ordered a high flow k&n oil filter in an attempt to correct the prolbem .car has 118000 miles an is a 91 has new gates timing belt and new balance shaft belt on it.

When cold oil pressure is 3/4 up while driving it remains in this area give or take but recently when idoling it drops right off to almost nothing when warmed up.

That small leak wouldn't drop your oil pressure enough to make you dummy light come on. It wouldn't hurt to invest into an aftermarket oil pressure gauge to know exactly if it is low. Those stock gauges are not very accurate.

I was hoping just to here that wix oil filters are too restrictive, but I'm assuming that's not the case I have the worst luck with dsm's this shouldn't be a surprise to me I was just hopin finding one with such low mileage I would luck out and not have any major problems

I rebuild my turbo block when i first got it, it ran around 12 seconds, so it was in good shape but i wanted to make sure i wasnt taking any chances. Just did a full rebuild, 6 bolt i feel i can rest assured thats its right.

Wix filters are very good. Did u change the oil weight? That's the only reason it would happen

Just got the car and don't know the previous owner so I don't know what kind of oil they used

I know the book reccomends a 15w 40 for 0-100 degrees but every oil I find with that weight at the parts stores say its for desile pickups.

So where do I find this magical oil LOL

Last edited:
Just use 10-40. That would keep the oil pressure up when the car is at operating temps. 10-30 is thinner than 10-40 when car is at operating temp so that's most likely your problem. Put some 10-40 in and post results

I use nothing but 20w-50 and I have no issues with cold starts. Even with morning temps still being near freezing around here.

And beleive me when I say the guys behind the counter at parts stores know very little about turbo engines and the stresses that they go through. I would know, I am one and I'm ashamed of how outdated my fellow employee's are when it comes to performance engines.

I use nothing but 20w-50 and I have no issues with cold starts. Even with morning temps still being near freezing around here.

And beleive me when I say the guys behind the counter at parts stores know very little about turbo engines and the stresses that they go through. I would know, I am one and I'm ashamed of how outdated my fellow employee's are when it comes to performance engines.

What part store do you work at? And it can be true that your average Joe hired off the street probably won't know a whole lot about a turbocharged motor unless they have one.

Okay I will try a 10w 40 weight when my k&n high flow oil filter comes in And thanks for the suggestion at least I know I have some options still.

And for the wix conversation, I run WIX oil filters on my cars as they are very good filters. I would not pay the extra money for the K&N one as it is more the name.

Oh and a little bit of info for you guys, motorcraft filters are purolators for half the price. Don't know if they make them for the 4g63 though.

What part store do you work at? And it can be true that your average Joe hired off the street probably won't know a whole lot about a turbocharged motor unless they have one.

Oreily Auto Parts. None of my coworkers even beleive that I'm making nearly 300hp on a 4 banger. It took me an hour to explain a catch can to them. ROFL

On the topic of oil filters, I have a display of oil filters at work that are cut open to reveal the design inside. We have a Fram, Microgaurd, Mobile 1, Wix, and K&N filter cut open. Fram is cardboard and hot glue. It's amazing they function at all. Microgaurd, WIX, and Mobile 1 are all nearly the same. Wix has more folds, better media, and bigger anti-drainback valve. But there is in fact a big difference between the K&N and other filters (including the WIX). They use synthetic media rather than cellulose or paper and have a superior number of folds compared to the rest. They look much like their air filters, but in oil filter form. Here's a pic for comparison. I do and will always pay the extra $7 for the K&N.

Attachments

• kn-171C%20inside.JPG
    kn-171C%20inside.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 180
Oreily Auto Parts. None of my coworkers even beleive that I'm making nearly 300hp on a 4 banger. It took me an hour to explain a catch can to them. ROFL

On the topic of oil filters, I have a display of oil filters at work that are cut open to reveal the design inside. We have a Fram, Microgaurd, Mobile 1, Wix, and K&N filter cut open. Fram is cardboard and hot glue. It's amazing they function at all. Microgaurd, WIX, and Mobile 1 are all nearly the same. Wix has more folds, better media, and bigger anti-drainback valve. But there is in fact a big difference between the K&N and other filters (including the WIX). They use synthetic media rather than cellulose or paper and have a superior number of folds compared to the rest. They look much like their air filters, but in oil filter form. Here's a pic for comparison. I do and will always pay the extra $7 for the K&N.

This is very interesting, now you have me considering them but I know the WIX are indeed good filters. May be a good thing for someone to run that K&N when doing a break in as it should collect all the very little things. But after the motor is broke in, the WIX should do just fine for cleaning the oil. But those are some great pics to show the inside of them. :thumb:

The WIX is by no means a bad filter or anything and I agree that it will get the job done. But I'm the kind of person who is willing to pay more for extra protection (even if it's not needed). Plus, with Employee discount, I can buy K&N's with the change I find in my car. :p

Glad my pics brought some insight.

The WIX is by no means a bad filter or anything and I agree that it will get the job done. But I'm the kind of person who is willing to pay more for extra protection (even if it's not needed). Plus, with Employee discount, I can buy K&N's with the change I find in my car. :p

Glad my pics brought some insight.

So your saying if I bought about 30 of them from you and had you ship them to me, I would still be saving a ton? Or are you saying the you have a lot of change in your car? ROFL

OP- I don't think the filter will have an effect on your oil pressure so either one will protect your engine and do its job. Just try the 10w-40 and let us know. Drain your oil when the car is pretty warm so you can get as much of that 1-w-30 out so you are mixing as least as possible.

I payed 11.99 shipped for my k&n oil filter from there online website it would have costed me at least 5$ round trip to try and track one down at one of the authorized dealers near me I figure I saved by shopping online this may not be the case for others who live in a city . We all know now that the k&n has superior filter techonolgy but the question now is which one has better flow and is less restrictive yet still provides superior filtering ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back