The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Oil always low, why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insearchofatsi

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 28, 2003
PennsylvaniaUS
My oil is always low. I know getting an aftermarket oil gauge would help too. I just changed it with mobil 1 and made sure it was full but the oil gauge is always right on the low side. I was changing my brakes yesterday and I noticed oil leakin from i think the oil pump. COuld this cause the problem? What oil pumps do you recommend?

Originally posted by Insearchofatsi

1. My oil is always low.

2. I know getting an aftermarket oil gauge would help too.

3. I just changed it with mobil 1 and made sure it was full but the oil gauge is always right on the low side.

4. I was changing my brakes yesterday and I noticed oil leakin from i think the oil pump.

5. COuld this cause the problem?

6. What oil pumps do you recommend?

1. I take it you mean Oil PRESSURE - If you consult your Manual you'll see that BELOW THE LOW MARK is "Normal" indication at idle - It should always be between the marks when ABOVE idle.

2. Not really - There's not a darn thing wrong with the Stock Gauge components provided they are not leaking. Typically the Oil Pressure Switch leaks far more frequently than the Gauge Bell.

3. What Viscosity are you running? Do not overfill.

4. I doubt you saw the Oil Pump as that is INSIDE the Motor - You were probably looking at the Oil Filter Housing - Unfortunately as that is the Low Point on the Front edge of Motor & Oil runs downhill due to Gravity SO... that Oil could be coming from almost ANYWHERE on the Front of the Motor - You need to find out where & fix it immediately.

5. YES - IF by chance the Gauge Bell were loose - Or the Oil Pressure Switch leaking - Or any other Oil Fitting - even the Oil Filter or OIL Cooler Gasket - (QUITE LIKELY if your car still has the POS Water to Oil Cooler).

6. MITSU - & go with ONLY MITSU Oil Filters if you still have the POS Water to Oil Cooler.

thanks, i was actually arguing with my friend because i didnt think it was an oil pump. It is bewteen the 2 marks at idle but just barely. There is oil under alot o things when i jack the car up, whats the most ocmmon places oil can leak from. Also off topic, when i put my fluidyne radiator in a couple days after that i noticed the coolant light w as on. My coolant is filled enough and my temp gauge is normal, just take it to get a code?

Turbo Return Oil Line to Oil Pan joint is a biggy - & yes it WILL run over to the damn OFH & down the removable member that runs aft...

Oil leaks can be from several places on that Oil Filter Housing as I noted - (you need to s***can it anyway & get a 90 OFH so you can install an Air to Oil Cooler if you haven't already).

Also the Front Case Oil Seals are a VERY likely source - If that's the case you'll be stripping the teeth on your Oil Soaked Timing Belt SOON - While you have the Head off to fix the bent Valves you can change out the Front Case Seals & delete your Balance Shafts, Fix the Drain Line leak, etc... .

You need to find out where & fix it immediately.

& Check the Coolant Level Switch Connector on your Coolant Overflow Bottle

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back