1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G OEM strut/shock cup

Posted by Dusty Landrum, Feb 13, 2020

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. Dusty Landrum

Dusty Landrum Supporting VIP

Joined Jul 15, 2019
    San Francisco, California
    So I am going through and restoring my 99 GSX and have been ordering all new OEM parts to have a fresh start. I went to do the shocks/struts today since they are pretty rough on the mounting pads and have all new hardware. The issue I have however is that the cup I pulled OFF the car and it is very different than the OEM part I ordered and am pointing at in the picture.

So.. the shocks are AGX adjustable and eibach 6015.002 lowering springs. I have done some research on the two and I can’t find that this smaller cup comes with either of them. I am worried about putting the new OEM ones on and wanted to get some clarity on here about why there is a size difference.

Should I try the new ones I ordered or reuse the ones that I found on the car?

upload_2020-2-13_17-42-39.jpeg

upload_2020-2-13_17-42-57.jpeg

upload_2020-2-13_17-43-30.jpeg

upload_2020-2-13_17-43-46.jpeg

Street Build 604  3

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. Dusty Landrum

Joined Jul 15, 2019
    Sill trying to find some answers on this. Hoping someone has some idea why there is a difference between what came off the car (which was already lowered and shocks/springs installed when I got the car) and the new OEM cups I bought. No one has any ideas or suggestions? Surely I cant be the first person ever in the DSM community to see this LOL.

Street Build 604  3

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. Kryndon

Kryndon Proven Member

Joined Jan 10, 2014
    Bulgaria, Europe
    My car also has red KYB AGX's, the 4-way adjustable ones, but I haven't actually taken them off so far, car came like that, so I'm not sure which type of bushing they use. But what I'm thinking is that the aftermarket KYB shocks simply use their own custom bushing, which is a different shape than the OEM one. So you'd technically have to look up your specific KYB part number and order the bushing for those. I can't say what would happen if you try using the OEM one with these.

Street Build 3K  12

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.43 @ 99.7 · 2G DSM
  4. Dusty Landrum

Joined Jul 15, 2019
    So the parts in question are not actually bushings. They are metal and labeled as "cups" in the buildup and when I have researched the AGX shocks I do not see the aftermarket cup listed as an included part, seems they just come with the top nut and the shock itself. I did order new bushings and insulators but nothing comes with this shorter cup. Same with the Eibach springs. I have no idea where this "cup" came from and its so much shorter than the OEM one. What effect would this have on the shocks/springs if I put the longer one on? I am just afraid of putting it together wrong.

Street Build 604  3

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. Clawless

Clawless Proven Member

Joined Jun 20, 2018
    Astoria, New York
    The new cup you ordered is the same as my original one. I reused the cup and mount on KONI STR.T Struts with Eibach Springs. I ordered the same KYB bellow and bumper you have. Those were giving me issues so I just reused the OEM ones. You might be able to run the KYB stuff with no issue but I ended up redoing my struts with OEM parts.

Street Build 522  1

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. Dusty Landrum

Joined Jul 15, 2019
    I have no idea where the lower profile cup came from, but I ended up just re-using it and the kyb parts fit better inside it. With the OEM cup I ordered they did not seat very well inside and I was worried about rubbing and pre-mature wear. Everything seems to be working well and no noises/issues so far.

Street Build 604  3

awd · manual · 2G DSM
    Clawless likes this.
  7. Clawless

Clawless Proven Member

Joined Jun 20, 2018
    Astoria, New York
    Yup, same issue I had using the OEM cup. Your old cup is probably aftermarket so should have a better fit with all the KYB parts like you figured out.

Street Build 522  1

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM