The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

OEM speed sensor gear??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude3000zx

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 11, 2010
Athens, Alabama
I have a 96 eclipse GS with the 2.0L engine, the transmisson was replaced by the previous owner with a used 95 talon transmission. I know because it says "95 talon" wrote on it with yellow paint.

I bought the car with the speedometer not working, recently i replace the VSS and now it works but it reads alot higher than im actually moving. (about 35mph higher,) Is the gearing different between the 96 eclipse transmisson and 95 talon ?

Im thinking I need the plastic gear from a 95 talon for it to read correctly.

What do you guys think?

and where can I order just the plastic gear for a 95 talon?

I have a 96 eclipse GS with the 2.0L engine, the transmisson was replaced by the previous owner with a used 95 talon transmission. I know because it says "95 talon" wrote on it with yellow paint.

I bought the car with the speedometer not working, recently i replace the VSS and now it works but it reads alot higher than im actually moving. (about 35mph higher,) Is the gearing different between the 96 eclipse transmisson and 95 talon ?

Im thinking I need the plastic gear from a 95 talon for it to read correctly.

What do you guys think?

and where can I order just the plastic gear for a 95 talon?

95 and 96 should be the same!does the car have oem size wheels/tires on it also were does the needle on the speedo sit with the key of and on?Did u car fax it before you purchased the car? do the miles match up?

The needle sits correct. The old VSS would work sometimes and when it did it read the correct speed, but with the new VSS it works all the time but it reads way to high of speed. traveling at about 45mph it shows im doing about 80.

the wheels and tires are correct size.

The needle sits correct. The old VSS would work sometimes and when it did it read the correct speed, but with the new VSS it works all the time but it reads way to high of speed. traveling at about 45mph it shows im doing about 80.

the wheels and tires are correct size.

same tooth count on the old vss vs the new one?(plastic gear on the vss)

I got it on ebay.
I just thought about something. Is it possible the sensor i bought is soposed to use a different tooth count on the plastic gear? possibly one with a higher tooth count? Using my current gear is causing it to read higher so im guessing that would mean i need the gear with a higher tooth count

I wounder if it was for a neon or something and it messing it up, i would try another sensor, i don't recall what is the difference in between the two i remember something to do with the speedo acting funny when i used the rear half of a neon case in my talon with the front half of a talon case, sorry i cant remember what it was!

I dont think so, but iam not sure!I think it was some thing to do with the electronics.

I found out the one I got was for a Neon, If someone has a used but working speed sensor (dont need the gear, just the sensor) for a 1996 eclipse GS 5speed id really appreciate it. brand new its like 70 bucks. im sure someone has an extra laying around, help me out and sell me it, :)

I am absolutly sure I have what you need It just may take me a day to find it. I will need your zipcode so I can give you a price. I wrecked my avenger right after I rebuilt the head and replaced the tranny so I stripped it out before I crushed it.:ohdamn:

By swaping the nylon gear it shouldn't cause any miscalculations on the sensor. The sensor is just reading the gear speed/revolutions. This sounds like the sensor is messed up. I have swapped gears on mine, because the gear I got with the sensor had 1 more tooth then the original gear had. Swapped gears and works perfect.

Yeah I've tryed swapping the gear.

I've discovered recently that the sensor is actually the wrong sensor, I no longer need the gear, i need the sensor but the junkyards dont have any.

id rather get a used one than spend 70 bucks for a new one.

If anyone has one let me know and ill gladly paypal you a few bucks for it.

thanks everyone.
-Jesse

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back