The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Odd Camshaft wear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EG Hatch

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 24, 2009
Austin, Texas
Hi guys I recently purchased some dks 272 cams off of the classifieds here and they have some unusual wear on the intake cam. It almost looks like the cam was skipping, and I'd like some opinions on whether I should run them. Images attached. The second image is a journal on the exhaust cam, which doesn't have the same wear as the intake.

Again all journals on intake cam have this skipping wear pattern, and all exhaust journals show wear typical of the second image.

Could it be due to the shaft being warped or bent?

Thanks,
Eric

Attachments

• download_20150919_210651.jpeg
    download_20150919_210651.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 145
  • download_20150911_155020.jpeg
    download_20150911_155020.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 161
  • download_20150911_154957.jpeg
    download_20150911_154957.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 125
have a machine shop check them out. or if you have a caliper, measure the diameter. if it isn't rough and in oem spec it should be fine. but check it out first

I'm not sure I would use them.If all the journals on the intake cam has the skip marks something is going on with it.Get a machine shop to check it out.

The previous owner of the cams probably F'd up and installed non-matching camshaft caps from another head or, Install the caps backwards or, Installed the cams in a head with warped cam journals.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back