The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

o2 sensor delete

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redmachine

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 30, 2003
Katy(just west of H-Town), Texas
Does anyone know a site you can order a fake o2 sensor or something on that line that won't trow a code when I put a test pipe on.

Redmachine said:
Does anyone know a site you can order a fake o2 sensor or something on that line that won't trow a code when I put a test pipe on.

why would a test pipe throw an o2 code? the o2 sensor is there mainly as a checker to make sure your running the right air/fuel ratio to not fry the cat and to get good gas milage. plus, it comes before the cat, so a test pipe wouldnt affect it at all.

there is an o2 sensor after the cat also that is the one I want the fakie for, throw a test pipe in and it would cook real quick

oh, sorry, i think i remember having that, thats why the guys who did my exaust stopped a little short of the cat. sorry

our cars have 2 O2 sensors.bank 1(pre cat-located onyour exaust manifold) and bank 2 post cat after the catalitic converter.so the 2 sensor is on the exaust pipe,after were the cat(or test pipe) goes.

Right does anyone know how to do the delete . There is a chip or wire that sends a signal to the ecu saying the o2 sensor is working fine even if it's burned up. I want to do that, here in houston there is no visual inspection unless the car is throwing codes, I can do a test pipe, only if I can get the o2 deleted. Any help is appreciated

speedy13 said:
dude,what ive been trying to tell you is that your car will not throw a bad O2 sensor code with or without a test pipe as long as your sensor is good.
That not completely true, i had a test pipe and had to remove it and put the cat. again because the back second O2 sensor detected that the cat was removed and started sending lots of fuel to the exhaust. Now im looking for a way to get that O2 sensor deleted and to get the cat. out of my car.

Walo said:
That not completely true, i had a test pipe and had to remove it and put the cat. again because the back second O2 sensor detected that the cat was removed and started sending lots of fuel to the exhaust. Now im looking for a way to get that O2 sensor deleted and to get the cat. out of my car.
I know that mustangs and camaros have mil eliminators, for off road xpipes, it deletes the cats and the o2 sensors. it sends a constant signal to the computer saying yeah everything is cool back here. Has anyone seen the mileliminator for eclipses so I don't have to run out and spend 100bucks per o2 sensor I burn up

hmm.possible.I know a few guys with test pipes and/or gutted cats and they never got that problem.but cars are so crazy that i guess it could be a problem.well anyways,they shouldn't be a hundred bucks,you could get a generic bosh o2 sensor for bout $40 bucks in case they burn up alot.they should also have some kind of warranty.I know it's not a perfect solution, but you could ride like that.

Redmachine said:
I know that mustangs and camaros have mil eliminators, for off road xpipes, it deletes the cats and the o2 sensors. it sends a constant signal to the computer saying yeah everything is cool back here. Has anyone seen the mileliminator for eclipses so I don't have to run out and spend 100bucks per o2 sensor I burn up
and where are the mustang ones, maybe if i know the brand then I can do a search for it.

REDMACHINE- I found this on miami dsm.this is to erase the o2 sensor code when you have a test pipe and the cel turns on,hope this helps.

Go to radio shack and find part # 271-1356 This is a 1/4 watt, 1 megaohm risistor. Put this inline with the black wire at the rear o2 sensor.
and thats that the cell will go away and the cel light will still go off when other problems arise.

sweet thanks I trying this tommorow

Walo said:
and where are the mustang ones, maybe if i know the brand then I can do a search for it.
They are made by bbk

speedy13 said:
REDMACHINE- I found this on miami dsm.this is to erase the o2 sensor code when you have a test pipe and the cel turns on,hope this helps.

Go to radio shack and find part # 271-1356 This is a 1/4 watt, 1 megaohm risistor. Put this inline with the black wire at the rear o2 sensor.
and thats that the cell will go away and the cel light will still go off when other problems arise.
you you have any pictures or diagrams?

Just bought my Talon TSi and I am having similar problems. The dealer said the readout of the light was due to the rear o2 sensor and he replaced it, but light still comes on and there only as test pipe, no cat. I'll give this a shot and see if it works.

thanx!!!!

Here's some facts from the powertrain diagnostics manual for a 98 talon:

"Theory of operation: The catalyst monitor uses oxygen sensors (o2's) to monitor the efficiency of the converter. The dual o2s strategy is based on the fact that as a catalyst deteriorates, its oxygen storage capacity and its efficiency are both reduced. By monitoring the oxygen storage capacity of a catalyst, its efficiency can be indirectly calculated. The upstream o2s is used to detect the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gas before the gas enters the catalytic converter. As the converter absorbs the oxygen, there is a lack of oxygen downstream of the converter and the output of the downstream o2s indicates limited activity. The downstream o2 detects oxygen content in treated gases that pass the converter. The PCM monitors lean-to-rich switches of the dual o2's. A ratio of downstream to upstream switches closer to 0 indicates an operational catalyst, while a 1:1 ratio indicates an ineffective catalyst."

By putting a high flow cat in the efficiency goes down while the flow goes up. A gutted cat or test pipe clearly has no efficiency and as such your ratio between the two 02's is 1:1. The upstream o2 reading is identical to the downstream and then you get a check engine light. Eliminating the o2 will not help the problem with the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT because the computer is still going to be looking for it. You will need to find a way to change the reading back to a ratio closer to 0 or that of an operational catalyst.

As Defiant has linked to and speedy pointed out there are ways to achieve this by using a resistor. It works too. I know because I have one in use with my car.
Doug

ineedacar27 said:
Just bought my Talon TSi and I am having similar problems. The dealer said the readout of the light was due to the rear o2 sensor and he replaced it, but light still comes on and there only as test pipe, no cat. I'll give this a shot and see if it works.

thanx!!!!

We're not talking about the Talon TSi in your profile are we? If so, then you don't have a rear o2 sensor.

no sorry, that was my first DSM, now I have a 95 Talon TSi. Just never updated profile, thanx for reminding me. You wouldn't happen to know how to unlock the stock radio would you?? I turn on the radio on and "OFF" appears because the wrong code was entered 3 times. How do I get it back to where I can enter the correct code?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back