The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Noise when clutch is pushed in all the way

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpk1337

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 28, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona
Okay so there is a noise when I push the clutch in all the way down. Also, I can't shift unless the pedal is off the floor about an inch or so.

Here is a video.
<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IWIg8NJENNQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<Edit>
I have adjusted my pedal and turned the rod back counter-clockwise out as far as it can go and the grinding noise is better but still present. It is also easier to shift into gears now but I still have problems if I push the clutch in all the way.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to Jafromobile I fixed this problem. I needed to back the clutch pedal adjustment rod out more counter-clockwise to get less movement. My pressure plate was being pushed in too far and hitting my clutch springs, which caused it to make the noise.

Initially I just backed the adjustment rod out a far as I can with my fingers and thought it was all the way out. After getting under there with with some pliers I found that I could back it out some more.

I ran into this problem after changing out my clutch because of slippage from my rear main seal leaking oil on to the clutch. I upgraded to an ACT 2100 clutch, pressure plate, and bought a new resurfacing pad for my Fidanza aluminum flywheel.

Last edited:
I'm having this problem except When I push the clutch all the way down to the floor I hear a higher pitched chattering sound. Kind of like a distant fluttering sound, very different from grinding. Also when moving the clutch back and forth I hear a low squeeking. Any thoughts?

Your clutch is over adjusted as the pressure plate fingers are hitting the flywheel.

^^ This, except they are hitting the clutch disc not the flywheel. Don't drive it!

Here is what will happen if you are indeed making contact with the disc....
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/drivetrain-tech/351015-act-failed-help-diagnose-warranty-pics.html

Is the pivot ball shimmed? That's what was causing my contact.

Holycrap that sucks.... What might have caused this?! I've never worked on a transmission before and I wasnt planning on learning how or doing any work to the tranny for another couple of months.... and I gota goto work in 12 hours...:ohdamn:

is the adjustment easy? Currently I'm searching for a thread on Clutch Adjustment

ignnore what I said about the fluttering. In my carport I poped the hood and while the car is running and in neutral I pushed the clutch all the way down to the floor. Its a rattle.

I got my tools out and I'm rdy for a clutch adjustment, to my 420a but I'm not seeing much in the forums thats much of help... I've turned to google.

How to Adjust a Clutch Pedal | eHow.com

Foudn this in my google search's. It had me look in a nice general vacinity, but none the less did not too much apply. Although I found there is a bolt and some nuts that will adjust where the clutch pedal sits.

I'm guess this engagment zone where the clutch engages to invetibly propell the car. I dont think this qualifies though for what is causing the rattle or how to fix it, because its not when the clutch is unpressed. When fully depressed to the floor and in neutral is when the rattle occurs. More research is def needed...

What might have caused this?!

The tranny was shimmed by the previous owner or the shady dealer I bought it from. It was shimmed (most likely) to get a little life out of the clutch.

I replaced the clutch and flywheel and didn't realize it was shimmed. The extra TOB travel caused by the shim was enough to push my PP fingers into the clutch disc. After that it was only a matter of time.

Helpful info: I felt vibration through the clutch pedal when all this was going down. If you feel pedal vibration at the bottom of the pedal travel then that can be a warning sign. Inspect the whole system.

To the OP: see if you can adjust the clutch for LESS fork/TOB travel. This should prevent any contact. Also, this is ALL just HYPOTHETICAL diagnosis. You WILL have to do more investigating to confirm. DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT! I don't want to be responsible for mis-diagnosing your car.

Good Luck :thumb:

Tom

The tranny was shimmed by the previous owner or the shady dealer I bought it from. It was shimmed (most likely) to get a little life out of the clutch.

I replaced the clutch and flywheel and didn't realize it was shimmed. The extra TOB travel caused by the shim was enough to push my PP fingers into the clutch disc. After that it was only a matter of time.

Helpful info: I felt vibration through the clutch pedal when all this was going down. If you feel pedal vibration at the bottom of the pedal travel then that can be a warning sign. Inspect the whole system.

To the OP: see if you can adjust the clutch for LESS fork/TOB travel. This should prevent any contact. Also, this is ALL just HYPOTHETICAL diagnosis. You WILL have to do more investigating to confirm. DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT! I don't want to be responsible for mis-diagnosing your car.

Good Luck :thumb:

Tom

Holycrap, the vibration you describe is accurate to my case at hand. There is vibration going down and coming back up. I dont have much time to take everything apart to inspect but I looked at it earlier, not gonna lie didnt know what I was really looking for. is it safer just to get a sort of clutch kit?

Holycrap, the vibration you describe is accurate to my case at hand. There is vibration going down and coming back up. I dont have much time to take everything apart to inspect but I looked at it earlier, not gonna lie didnt know what I was really looking for. is it safer just to get a sort of clutch kit?

Mine was only vibrating at the bottom of the pedal travel... because of the contact. If your's is vibrating throughout the pedal travel it could be (and most likely is) going to be a different issue.

Mine was only vibrating at the bottom of the pedal travel... because of the contact. If your's is vibrating throughout the pedal travel it could be (and most likely is) going to be a different issue.

I'd say when I get about 2/3 on the way down I start to feel vibration. Same coming back up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back