The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G No spark help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Abbott

Probationary Member
Mar 20, 2019
St. Thomas, ON_Canada
Ok guys I took the car out today.. Got 2 houses down and car stalled and won't start now .....i got fuel but I seem to not have spark.. Any ideas .. Some say camshaft position sensor some say crankshaft position sensor ... I got a 98 Spyder gs... Any help would be great and also location of the sensors would be helpful to

2g cars seem to have a tendency to have the crank sensor go bad, especially if they see any wobble. Check the big crank bolt and make sure its tight. If it wasn't or you think it wasn't tight enough, that sensor is behind all the pulleys and timing cover so its a PITA.
I have a 2gb but am working on my 1g 6 bolts currently. If there are other points of failure, maybe we can get some folks to chime in with their 02.
My oldest sons 2g had a crank sensor get takin out by a loose crank pulley (which made the timing plate wobble) is why I say to check it.

Ok will do. . It's started and ran fine many times and then just stopped and wouldn't start. .. Cranks fine just seems to have no spark... Any possibility it's the camshaft position sensor?? It's easier to get at

Well David, I think (and I've been wrong before) that the cam sensor fires the injectors, or on my 1g stuff it does.
We really need some more 2g guys to jump in :thumb:
And dam straight its much easier to get to!

I'd check the crank sensor at the connector to see if you're getting the proper readings, and I don't recall if the 2g has a PTU, but that'd be my next bet. Of course check all the basics like plugs, wires and could pack also.

Might have to go as far as see what the ECU looks like and check for damage.

When it died, we're you in gear cruising or did you shift and it shut off during the gear change? Give us the circumstances.

It's not plated yet so I was just taken it down the street and back so it was in gear and I was doing like 10kph...kinda jerked a little like of you forget to push clutch in when stoping then stalled.... So I thought ok I stalled it by going so slow... When to start and nothin... I took out spark plugs and checked compression I have 180 through all 4 cylinders .. I can see gas puffing out when I was doing compression test .. I put a spark plug in the wire and checked for spark but I don't see any spark

When I crank it no the tach does not move
Don't forget about the plug wires, and ESPECIALLY the coil. Check for all good connections and test your coil. These are the easiest fixes, so don't rule them out yet.

Last edited:
It's not plated yet so I was just taken it down the street and back so it was in gear and I was doing like 10kph...kinda jerked a little like of you forget to push clutch in when stoping then stalled.... So I thought ok I stalled it by going so slow... When to start and nothin... I took out spark plugs and checked compression I have 180 through all 4 cylinders .. I can see gas puffing out when I was doing compression test .. I put a spark plug in the wire and checked for spark but I don't see any spark
Did you just stick a spark plug in or did you ground it also? If you just stuck a spark plug in free air it won't fire. You have to ground the electrode strap

Power transistor check time?
What do the rest of you think (besides ThunderChild)???

Think I found the problem .. Strut bar was to close to top of intake manifold and broke one sensor off and unplugged the other

Attachments

• received_2098847123562054.jpeg
    received_2098847123562054.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 105
  • received_2266981400181110.jpeg
    received_2266981400181110.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 97
Ah man. So just replace the sensors and good to go???:idontknow:
Sure hope its that since its easier to fix!
Shit David, thats the manifold pressure sensor and the PTU. Yep they are pretty important, LOL. Fix those and just leave the strut bar off for now then see how she does.
:thumb:

The manifold differential pressure sensor wont stop the car from running, its for the ecu to check the egr valve operation. Is your transistor plugged in this whole time? the thing in the first picture is the transistor, if so then It sounds to me like your missing your crankshaft position sensor signal possibly, otherwise plug that transistor back in and try to start it.

Little update .. Fixed the map sensor . Plugged the other one back in and vroom .. All fixed. . Flipped strut bar around and now it don't touch anything

Attachments

• 20190412_173935.jpg
    20190412_173935.jpg
    1,020.4 KB · Views: 56
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back