The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

No idle until operating temp

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicks

Probationary Member
Sep 10, 2017
New York, New_York
Hey Guys!

I have a little issue here. So my car was running okay. I was told it had a bad Idle valve which eventually I replace for a new one (did not feel any change in idle after replacement, but did not tune for it either). When the old one was on it was tune so shortly after revving it for a bit, it would idle somewhat high to compensate for the bad Idle Valve.

The car at one point stopped running properly to the point that it would not stay on at all, and sounded horrible, however after some fuel adjustment, injector voltage adjustment, CAS timing and BISS screw adjustment, it got running better than what it initially was.

Now the issue lies in the fact that the car does not stay on until it reaches operating temperature. Does not matter how hot it is, cold, 1/4 the way close to the middle, it stalls right out until it reaches normal temperature.

When we did the tune adjustment we did not touch idle values on ECUFlash. But now it does not try to idle whatsoever until it gets to operating temperature.

Any suggestion how to solve this issue? Is the new Idle valve bad already? Does it needs to be tune for that idling?

Ill be pulling out or at least try to test the valve using the methods I saw on a video earlier, see if valve is bad already.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
These cars originally came with a FIAV to keep the car idle high enough until the temp comes up to normal and then the job is handed off to the IAC motor, it sounds like your FIAV isnt working or is non existant.

Ill check that when I get home in a few days, now if that were the issue how could I have some sort of Idle even if its holding the pedal for a little bit before the IAC motor kicks in but before reaching operating temperature? Because as of right now, I have to have the gas down until the fans kick in and if I park for about 15-20 or more, just enough for the engine cools down even if it is one bit then I gotta hold the gas down all over it until we get back to operating temperature.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back