The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

"Newer" 4g64 in a 2g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I sketch a drawing of the bracket. It bolts on the engine side allowing the bottom tranny bolt to be mounted with probably enough clearance for the front trans/motor mount.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just though of a bracket for the rear lower bolt: a two piece consist of 1/2" bracket on the tranny side and a "J" shape bolt that goes into the bracket and hooks into the engine side bolt hole. That's could overcome the offset bolt holes for the newer 4G64 block and 2G tranny.

shot in the dark. my 63 is starting to eat the thrust bearings and 3g 64s are everywhere so i was hoping we could get lucky

plus the shift fork hole etc is all on the wrong side then

What do you mean by shift fork holes. Are you talking about the spot where the clutch slave bolts, if so than it bolts to the transmission. Also there are just as many of the 7th gen galant 4g64's out there as there are these engines, so i don't know why someone would go thru the trouble trying to make one of these work.

Any updates? I'm about to start getting parts together for my 2.1 build and got a possible block from a'95 Sonata. I just looked at specs for the 3rd Gen Sonata and it says only 4g63 engines were available (in 4cyl models), which I knew the 63 came in it, but the potential seller sent me, by request, the engine ID stamp that clearly says 4g64. Anyone able to shed light on this? Read further about 4th Gen, which came with a 2.4 Sirius engine. Thinking its most likely from that model. Also reread the message from seller and he stated he thinks its from a'95, but isn't positive.

It must not be out of a Sonata. The 4th gen came with a 2.4 "sirius based" engine, whether that means 4g64, G4CS, or something else, Im not sure. I do know the 89-91 was G4CS and 3rd gen was 4g63/6g72. So maybe its actually from a Galant or something similar?

On a related note, can anyone tell me what the 7-bolt 4g63 rod and main journal widths are? I couldn't find it searching.

Hmmm, either way the pics he sent me look good enough to make the deal. Comes with the front case, main bearing caps, some timing components, and the crank (which I don't need for my build).

Hmmm, either way the pics he sent me look good enough to make the deal. Comes with the front case, main bearing caps, some timing components, and the crank (which I don't need for my build).

Are they actual caps, or an entire girdle (sp?) like the 7-bolt 4g63 has? If it's just caps, it's definitely not any 4g64 I've ever seen.

If your not using the crank, you should definitely let me swing by with some calipers. It seems the 3g 4g64 crank might be much more narrow on the main journals, but I need an actual 4g64/4g63 crank to measure.

From the pics, it has the girdle. I won't need the crank since I'm doing a 2.1L engine and will use a 2.0 crank.

You're welcome to check out the crank once I get the short block. Will be shipped from out of state.

A bracket can solve the front engine/tranny bolt holes issue; its the rear bolt hole that requires some planning without being expensive. An AWD tranny make things more complicate due the transfer case as compare to a FWD.

Semi-reviving this, I need to get my hands on a 3g block and do some test fitting, may also need to source a 2g trans and mounts. Hard to believe I was replying to this thread 7 years ago haha. it wont be a quick process, but I'm sniffing out some options!

Semi-reviving this, I need to get my hands on a 3g block and do some test fitting, may also need to source a 2g trans and mounts. Hard to believe I was replying to this thread 7 years ago haha. it wont be a quick process, but I'm sniffing out some options!
Sounds like a cool project man! Will be following.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back