1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Newb Question! 95-99 SMIM in 2G full 6 bolt swap

Posted by iziegsx, Dec 3, 2007

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing
  1. iziegsx

iziegsx Proven Member

Joined Aug 17, 2007
    Cayman Islands, Central America
    I recently purchased a 95-99 Magnus SMIM for my full 6 bolt swap(Head+block) My question is Will this fit on my 1G Head? If not! What would i have to do to make a 2G SMIM fit a 1G Head in a 2G car?

250  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM
  2. JWoodley

JWoodley Proven Member

Joined Oct 12, 2002
    Middle Of Nowhere, Alabama
    Sell it to me and buy a 1G version. =)

682  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  3. iziegsx

iziegsx Proven Member

Joined Aug 17, 2007
    LOL that doesn't really answer my question haha.

250  0

· 2G DSM
  4. JWoodley

JWoodley Proven Member

Joined Oct 12, 2002
    Middle Of Nowhere, Alabama
    The ports of the 1G and 2G are alot different. The effort required to make it fit would negate the fun of installation. You may could order a 1G flange and get someone to cutoff the 2g and weld the 1g on. The only downside is the runner diameter might be off.

682  0

manual · 2G DSM
  5. CanadianTSi

CanadianTSi DSM Wiseman

Joined Aug 12, 2002
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    You need a Intake Manifold made for a 1G Head since that is what you have.

724  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.880 @ 120.910 · 2G DSM
  6. iziegsx

iziegsx Proven Member

Joined Aug 17, 2007
    I want to know why though! And also id like to know if this would be able to fit in an evo3? Anyone know the answer to these questions?

250  0

· 2G DSM
  7. iziegsx

iziegsx Proven Member

Joined Aug 17, 2007
    Hmmm ill check that out tomorrow for sure.

250  0

· 2G DSM
  8. hopwoodp

hopwoodp Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2004
    Oak Harbor, Washington

Street Build 633  15

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  9. iziegsx

iziegsx Proven Member

Joined Aug 17, 2007
    Damn i just ported out my 1G head also. Im gonna have to sell this thing to one of my evo3 buddies!

250  0

· 2G DSM
  10. daren_p

daren_p DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 22, 2004
    Newmarket, ON, Canada
    Looks like you figured it out but as was said the ports on the 1g head are much larger then the 2g ports. Even if you could swap your 2g flange for a 1g flange, the runners still won't be correct. I believe this mani should work for the Evo's through to the EvoIII.

3K  18

12.370 @ 119.800 · 2G DSM
  11. iziegsx

iziegsx Proven Member

Joined Aug 17, 2007
    LOL damn. Sure sucks i should have just ported my 2g Head then :mad: oh well atleast it will be an easy sale or maybe i could send it back to Extremepsi what do you guys think about that? Its not even out of the package yet!!!

250  0

· 2G DSM
  12. daren_p

daren_p DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 22, 2004
    Newmarket, ON, Canada

I'd check Extremepsi's return policy, thats probably your best bet, if they'll accept it as you'll probably get all your money back. I'm sure you won't have to much of a problem selling it yourself but most people aren't willing to pay the same amount as a vendor is asking when their buying it second hand (even if it is brand new), so you'll probably lose abit if you went this route. Then again, on the other hand maybe Extreme charges a restocking fee. Best bet is to give them a shout & see what they say, then go from there.

3K  18

12.370 @ 119.800 · 2G DSM
  13. h8r

h8r Proven Member

Joined May 15, 2007
    Glen Burnie, Maryland
    Extreme psi is a great company.. I am sure they will work with you! Give them a call.

14. iziegsx

iziegsx Proven Member

Joined Aug 17, 2007
    Thats along the lines of what i had in mind. Weird thing is my buddy owns an evo3 and he was just saying to me a few days ago that he wants to get a SMIM +75mm Throttle body so ill have to ask that bum if he wants to buy it off of me like asap. Best thing is the currency used here is higher than the us dollar so i can prob make a profit off of selling it to him. Lets see what he says! Also i heard that Magnus SMIM was prone to cracks :( any idea how often this occurs. Looks like i may have to go with the JMF SMIM if thats the case.

250  0

· 2G DSM
  15. iziegsx

iziegsx Proven Member

Joined Aug 17, 2007
    No doubt about that ive spent thousand of dollars there. They have never failed me. And i don't expect they ever will.

250  0

· 2G DSM
  16. blcknspo0ln

blcknspo0ln DSM Wiseman

Joined Jul 31, 2003
    Central, New Jersey
    That's just as common as 7bolt crankwalk :| Magnus does great r&d on their products as well as JMF. Out of 1,000 copies, 1 is bound to have a defect; that's just the nature of the beast. Of course, that 1 guy is going to kick and scream on the forums until his fingers fall off.

As for extremepsi, I do (what i'd like to think) pretty heavy volume for a single guy and they have never skipped a beat. Any problems I've ever had they've fixed up for me.

1K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.030 @ 118.070 · 2G DSM
  17. CanadianTSi

CanadianTSi DSM Wiseman

Joined Aug 12, 2002
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    My friend and I bought 2 SMIM's at the same time direct from Magnus. We walked in grabbed 2 boxes and left.

His SMIM has no less then 6 cracks, mine has none. Its just luck of the draw I guess.

724  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.880 @ 120.910 · 2G DSM
  18. turboglenn

turboglenn Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2007
    RIpley, West Virginia
    If you've never used it, send it back and swap if for what you need.

19. hopwoodp

hopwoodp Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2004
    Oak Harbor, Washington
    Just don't forget the 20% restocking fee that most places charge. Call them ahead of time and see if they can waive that for you.

Street Build 633  15

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  20. turboglenn

turboglenn Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2007
    RIpley, West Virginia
    ^^True on the restocking fee. But, it would probabaly still be hceaper ( and better looking ) to do that instead of trying to mod teh 2g one to fit a 2g head, just my 0.02 cents

21. hopwoodp

hopwoodp Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2004
    Oak Harbor, Washington
    Yeah, or you could try to sell it on the classified adds a little cheaper than what you got it for. -$20 plus free shipping or something. It all depends but, I would contact the guys you got it from first to see if they will help you out.

Street Build 633  15

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  22. iziegsx

iziegsx Proven Member

Joined Aug 17, 2007
    Ok guys here is the 2G Magnus Intake manifold which ports measure in at 1.1 inches in width. My 1G Head's Intake ports are at 1.4 inches The picture below shows where we marked out what had to go. The second picture is the end result :) worked out perfectly. Fits great!! I decided to do the modifications because it didn't seem like such a big deal. The port work had to be done carefully though avoiding the pieces where the manifold was welded. I will let you guys know how it runs. Wish me luck!! Will be throwing the motor in. TODAY!! I can't wait!!!:dsm:

SMIMportshavingscloseup.jpg
    SMIMportmarkings.jpg
    IntakemanifoldPorted.jpg
    Enginepic.jpg

250  0

· 2G DSM
  23. thekellbeast

thekellbeast Proven Member

Joined Jun 28, 2003
    Portland, Maine
    If you took out a lot of material towards the welds, I would look into having some extra material welded on there for support, just to avoid cracking.

24. kingjust

kingjust Proven Member

Joined May 23, 2006
    Orlando, Florida
    I guess i'm the only one that notice the r33 GTR badge in the back ground... lucky bi***!!! :thumb:

25. iziegsx

iziegsx Proven Member

Joined Aug 17, 2007
    No Weld material was taken off all the shaving was kept in the flange area. :sneaky:
    LOL that is a RB2.7 N1 r32 twin turbo (800hp) motor in a GTS skyline. We are almost done completing that swap just removing the GTR33(1300hp+) :tease: wire harness to use into this monster swap. blah next topic cause i will be on this all day. Those cars are alot faster than what i want to be LOL.

250  0

· 2G DSM