The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

New to the DSM forum and already have problems.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razorbac23

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 6, 2012
Jacksonville, Florida
Evening Guys,

Im in the Jacksonville Fl are and just bought my first DSM. 97 Eclipse Spyder GSt and would'nt you know it my first week I blew the head gasket (hopefully thats all it is). Ive got oil in the water, water in the oil, cars smokes white smoke and there are bubbles in the radiator water.

My question is does anyone know of any good DSM mechanics in the Jacksonville area? The 2 I've called wanted over $1000 to do the change and head work, seems a little excess to me.

But if anyone knows anyone that would help out alot.

Thanks alot,

Just do it yourself. As long as you didnt let the car overheat then it should be ok. Its fairly simple and can be done in a day or two. There is plenty of write ups on these forums to get you through the process. Good luck and welcome. You will be a certified mechanic by the time its all said and done. =)

yea i wouldnt waste a gnote on replacing a headgasket. swap it out over a weekend and be ready to go monday morning with a ton of extra cash in your pocket

Yeah i got the same problem with my TSI how many miles on your GST? Im doing it myself because all my qoutes where around 1000$ also. I hear its not to hard get a buddy to help you thats what i am doing getting a bunch of input from some friends who know engines.

Ive got about 120K on there. Just bought it. But from what I'm hearing it doesent sound that hard. I may give it a shot.

Call a couple of buddies, Beer does amazing things.

Let me know how urs goes..

Its really easy to do the head job on these cars...my friend and I did his head job and mine in one morning.it would have taken less time but the beer started taking affect.LOL the hardest part if that is geting all the timing marks right.its easy to torque the head if you follow the instructions.everything else is really easy

If it's one thing this site can give you, it's confidence. Being truthful, a few years ago, I was just a regular schmuck, but recently, I completed an AWD swap, and I'm actually about to bolt up a holset to my setup. Granted, I can't change a tranny in an hour like some members on here, but still feel pretty good about what I can do and what I wasn't capable of doing before.

Make sure you get a composite head gasket, not MLS unless you plan on getting engine work done.

[edit] You can get a nice fel-pro composite for around $40 from advance auto or napa or something of the likes

If it's one thing this site can give you, it's confidence. Being truthful, a few years ago, I was just a regular schmuck, but recently, I completed an AWD swap, and I'm actually about to bolt up a holset to my setup. Granted, I can't change a tranny in an hour like some members on here, but still feel pretty good about what I can do and what I wasn't capable of doing before.

Make sure you get a composite head gasket, not MLS unless you plan on getting engine work done.

[edit] You can get a nice fel-pro composite for around $40 from advance auto or napa or something of the likes
Nuff said, I can relate to this as most of us were in the same boat

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back