The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

New Steering wheel - I no longer drive a school bus

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

housegsx

15+ Year Contributor
May 28, 2004
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
I put my new steering wheel in a couple weeks ago and it is definitely the best mod I have done to the inside of the car.:thumb: And a must for someone over 6 feet tall. No more bumping my knees and not being able to use the pedals.

It's a Momo Mod 78. 330mm or 13". 2 inches smaller in diameter than the factory wheel. It looks badass in the car, moreso than the picture shows.:cool: Tell me what you think.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I bought it from Pole Position USA, Pole Position USA, Motorsports Parts and Auto Racing Equipment. They were great to deal with.

Did you disable the srs light? I have been debating the same thing and wondered if there was a way to bypass it.

It looks nice, and man what i wouldn't give for a some what smaller wheel. I'm only 5'10'' and i'm cramped in there. Can the EVO wheel be made to work adn retain it's stock airbag and have it work with the eclipse air bag control module?

I would love to have something smaller and different, but honestly i dont think I could give up the added safety of an airbag for a better looking wheel. (at least not on the street anyway) I've eaten a steering wheel and windshield before and didn't like the taste LOL the glass wasn't bad, it was the blood, teeth and flesh i swallowed along with it that i didn't care for.

Looks cool! I've got some nice steering wheels lying around including an antique wooden MOMO salvaged from god knows where and my favorite, a Fittipaldi Personal wheel, circa 1975. Same 6-bolt pattern on each. I've been mulling over whether or not to stick the Fittipaldi on my 1g. It's been on most of the cars my father and uncle have owned at some point or another, on both my father's old Ford Capri's, my uncle's old civic si which was stolen and stripped (steering wheel remained however :D) and his integra which was crushed in a parking lot by an 18 wheeler that tipped over onto it.

Where did you get the hub/adapter to mount the steering wheel up?

Thanks for the compliments!

The SRS light has been on since I removed the steering wheel when rebuilding my steering rack. At the time I didn't know I couldn't hook up the battery with the airbag unplugged and not be able to disable the light. I'll just take out the light bulb some day. What I thought was weird is that if one airbag is disabled so is the entire system including the passenger airbag. Actually, I want to find out if I can remove the passenger airbag but still keep the cover so the dash looks the same. This is pretty much just a track car/some occasional weekend fun so I'm not worried about having an airbag. I plan on having a 4 point bar and a fixed FIA approved seat(probably Sparco Evo) with harnesses soon.

Turboglenn, I know at least one person has hooked up the Evo wheel with the airbag. Search and you should be able to find a reference to it. I think I may have read it in Andy's How To on installing the Evo wheel.
Edit: Here it is http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-parts-fabrication/273299-evo-steering-wheel-dsm.html So Mitsumissle has wired it in but sounds like it might be more of a risk than it's worth.

There is a horn button and wires etc but I have no idea how I could hook it up so I am just going to hook the horn up to something else... maybe the foglight button since I don't have foglights anymore. LOL

Where did you get the hub/adapter to mount the steering wheel up?

I got the Momo hub adapter from the same company. I might eventually put a spacer on it as well when I get a new seat, but for now it works great.

steering wheel looks real good. and does anyone know how to get rid of the srs light, besides taking out the bulb. LOL

I've been mulling over whether or not to stick the Fittipaldi on my 1g. It's been on most of the cars my father and uncle have owned at some point or another, on both my father's old Ford Capri's, my uncle's old civic si which was stolen and stripped (steering wheel remained however :D) and his integra which was crushed in a parking lot by an 18 wheeler that tipped over onto it.

I wouldn't put it on your 1g. Can we say BAD LUCK? OMG

Did you disable the srs light? I have been debating the same thing and wondered if there was a way to bypass it.

unplug the connector under your armrest. just remove the tray thing and its looking right at you. light [and airbag system] is disabled :thumb:

Has anyone tried some other column shroud, so that tree stump's not under the wheel?

Yeah, it would be nice if there was something to do about that.

Oh, and for any of you looking to remove more random weight from the car, unscrew the bottom half of that column shroud and there is a big piece of useless metal screwed into that plastic piece. It probably weighs 2lbs and is completely useless. Unscrew and disgard.:thumb:

I've still not run across a definitive explanation of the legal status of airbag removal. It seems illegal for a dealer or shop to remove them, and for a dealer to sell a car without them. But owner removal still seems murky.
Some states include the airbags as part of whatever-frequency safety inspections.

Yeah, it's kind of a gray area. When I still had the original steering wheel my SRS light was on and they never mentioned anything about it to me during inspection. But then again I take my car to a shop that doesn't even put the car on a lift or pull the wheels.

It looks nice, and man what i wouldn't give for a some what smaller wheel. I'm only 5'10'' and i'm cramped in there. Can the EVO wheel be made to work adn retain it's stock airbag and have it work with the eclipse air bag control module?

I would love to have something smaller and different, but honestly i dont think I could give up the added safety of an airbag for a better looking wheel. (at least not on the street anyway) I've eaten a steering wheel and windshield before and didn't like the taste LOL the glass wasn't bad, it was the blood, teeth and flesh i swallowed along with it that i didn't care for.

Dude, that is raunchy! Reading that gave me some F'ed up visuals. LOL

If I ever turn mine into a track slut or decide I can get away with not having an airbag, I'm going with the Prototipo. I do like the Mod 78 (and Mod 69) though. I'm just a huge Momo fan all around, not sure why I like their style so much, most of the aftermarket interior stuff out there makes me wanna puke.
Prototipo>
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Yeah, it would be nice if there was something to do about that.

Oh, and for any of you looking to remove more random weight from the car, unscrew the bottom half of that column shroud and there is a big piece of useless metal screwed into that plastic piece. It probably weighs 2lbs and is completely useless. Unscrew and disgard.:thumb:

Refering to shroud size, defiants comment was cuttoff here.

I thought the same thing when I saw it, but it doesn't look bad at all. I guess you would have to research and modify whatever was close. I'm sure the screw holes wouldn't line up at all.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back