The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

NEW LOGS: can't get timing up

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRS95TSI

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 9, 2004
louisville, Kentucky
evo3, 680 inj, walbro 190, 19psi:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

i had this same setup on my talong and with the same afc settings i was seeing close to 18 deg of timing my midrange was around 12, i can't figure it out, i don't wanna go to lean and cause dmg.

anyone know what is going on?

Well it's weird that your spooling so late and are so far into the negative but still kinda rich.

Log airflow and do another pull till atleast 6500. If your airflow numbers are inflated we know you have a boost leak.

No, you're looking at everything. Most common places are the J-pipe from the turbo going to the lower ic pipe, the upper ic pipe where it meets smic, in my case the biss screw was leaking an aweful lot, and offcorse the tb shaft seals and around the nuts that hold the tb and tb elbow in place. Basically just spray everything.

No it isn't. Ideally you shouldn't have any leaks in the system whatsoever, otherwise you wll have the wrong fuel/air calculations. There's a rubber seal around the biss screw, after being exposed to heat from our heat loving 4g63 they sorta turn to plastic and cracks and start leaking (much like all the other seals do over time time).

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

here is a new log....same correction factor on afc just logged airflow, does this indicate a boost leak? if so, how do you tell, i want to learn so i don't hafta post logs!

16.92/(1-.43)= 29.68 So it doesn't seem like your flowing an abnormal amount of air, which tells us you don't have a giant boost leak.

It seems as though your spooling awfully late, when do you hit full boost on the gauge?

Dred said:
What is that formula for?

To figure out his real airflow. Since the number reported by the logger is the number seen by the ECU, it has all ready been altered by the S-AFC, which is his case is -43 up top.

well i would consider it to be knocking, but what from?

could be ### it's rich, but -43 is quite a bit of fuel out for an evo3 on little boost.

so i just really need some help.

spyderturbo007 said:
Why are you pulling out 43% with 680cc injectors? A baseline tune with 680's should start around -34%.

That's exactly what made me think he has a boost leak as stated in my first post. Well that and the late spool.

Check your base timing. I think its too advanced, thats why when boost hits you are knocking and pulling a gang of timing right away. Set your base timing to 5*. Make sure to ground timing when you are going to set it at the CAS. (check your manual for exact number and procedure)
Ive seen similar problems like this happen in a couple 1g's so it could be worth a shot if there is no boost leak.
Hope this helps

i've actually never heard of that before, and no1 has offered that to the table? isn't there a vfaq or something on how to set your base timing? anyone else feel this could be a problem?

Because people assume you are smart enough to check your base timing if you are this far in the game :)

So check the base timing and if that's good, the next step is to add fuel and see what happens.

Yeah but you can still check it to see if everything is within spec or at least close enough since you can't ground it without dsmlink. Right? :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back