The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

New GSX and lots of problems.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK Maniak

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 9, 2009
Butte, Montana
I purchased a 97 GSX two days ago in Long beach california. When i test drove the car everything worked fine
During the test drive I mainly drove it on the freeway and I didn't do any WOT pulls or anything like that( probably should have) Anyways, I ended up buying the car and started driving it back to flagstaff AZ where I go to school. About 4 hours into the drive the car would sputter or hesitate when in boost. I figured it could be anything like spark plugs or a boost leak so i just figured it would need a little maintenance to solve the problem. The next thing I noticed was that when I was pulling into a gas station I was having trouble making a sharp turn, felt like I was applying the brakes while trying to turn.
Anyways, I make it home and park the car and the next day the hesitation during boost was significantly increased.
Later that day while on my way home a flash came from down by my feet and then my window would not roll up, or my sunroof, or any other accessories. Hoping it was nothing more than a blown fuse I parked the car and turned it off but the headlights would not turn off. So i started the car back up while parked and it ran horribly. It idle was bouncing back and forth from 1200rpms to 1500rpms.
So now my car is sitting in a parking lot with one window all the way down:(
I know its my fault for not being more thorough before buying the car but its too late for that so please don't give me shit for it.

Cliff Notes for the lazy people:
1) Car hesitates when under boost
2)Can't make sharp turns(welded diff?)
3) Idles like shit
4) Lights won't turn off unless i disconnect the battery
5) No accessories work

I'm pretty pissed as the seller seemed very honest but either way i got my first true DSM and its already broken
gotta love DSM's

Last edited:
I had the same issue on a friends car i was working on for him. It kept blowing the 100 amp relays for the alternator. We ended up finding the main wire on the alternator was dryrotted horribly and was arcing. A little bit of electrical tape and a ground strap was all it took and she was as good as new. It sounds alot like your problem so just chase the main power wires under the hood and i think you'll find your problem. Best of luck, and post what you find.

If you have to replace any of your wiring please do it correctly. solder all your connections and heat shrink over all bare wire or splice points.

sell it off and move onto one thats fully stock and unmolested.

youre fighting an uphill battle against previous owners shortcomings when it comes to wiring, modding, etc.

How much you pay and what was the milage?? Im gonna have to go and agree with spower about the good pair of walking shoes and a friend with a stock civic, LOL
I payed 5k and it had 120k miles

sell it off and move onto one thats fully stock and unmolested.

youre fighting an uphill battle against previous owners shortcomings when it comes to wiring, modding, etc.

Selling it is not really an option, and I'd rather just make this one work instead of just trying to make it some one else's problem. I'm not scared to put some time and work into it.

If you have to replace any of your wiring please do it correctly. solder all your connections and heat shrink over all bare wire or splice points.

:thumb::thumb::thumb: Listen to him.^^ That is the ONLY way your electrical system should ever be repaired unless you absolutely can not get a soldering iron to it. This is how I buttoned all of my hacked wiring up.

Honestly man if i were you id get a MM(multi-meter) or DMM (Digital multi meter) and learn how to use it LOL. When it comes to electrical stuff a MM or DMM is your BEST friend:hellyeah::thumb:. If you can get your hands on a good one. One that tests ohm, amp, volts, continuity, doides etc etc. They can get pricey but if you ever have a electrical problem it can be solved much easier with one of those.

BTW if you do get one i can teach you how to use it if you don't wanna go searching online. Just shoot me a pm.

YouTube - IMG_0269[1].MOV
I'm going to just take a guess and say your alternator cables melted against your O2 sensor thus causing a short. but that's just a guess

You sir are correct:) As a temporary fix I just zip tied it away from the 02 sensor and put electrical tape around it because the wires seemed to be okay. Before I get flamed it is only a TEMPORARY fix. Well when i went to start the car after doing so it only made a clicking noise. So i brought the battery to auto zone but they said it was bad and the cells were warped. Could that wire rubbing the 02 sensor really have ruined the battery. And could that also be the reason all my accessories lost power and my tach and speedometer

Attachments

• IMG_0271[1].jpg
    IMG_0271[1].jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 60
Well I started poking around my engine looking for bad wires or anything that looked hacked up and look what i found:)
In the first pic(turn your head to the left) the wire with the blue thing on it was just hanging there.
3rd pic shows the same thing but a little bit clearer
2nd pic the wire that is on there was also just hanging down.
These were all below the alternator and the bottom pulley.
Does anyone know what these are/do?

Attachments

• IMG_0278[1].jpg
    IMG_0278[1].jpg
    42 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0279[1].jpg
    IMG_0279[1].jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0280[1].jpg
    IMG_0280[1].jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 54
In the second picture, the wire connected to the bell shaped thing is your oil pressure sending unit that sends a signal to the oil pressure gauge in the cluster. The wire hanging down in the first and third pic might be for the oil pressure sensor that triggers the idiot light on the gauge cluster. There should be 2 sensors on the oil pump housing.

Wow sounds like you got a mess. I'm really interested in this thread my buddys car is doing similar stuff and it sounds like it could be the alternator from what I read here. Keep us posted! And good luck

Wow sounds like you got a mess. I'm really interested in this thread my buddys car is doing similar stuff and it sounds like it could be the alternator from what I read here. Keep us posted! And good luck

Ha ya i'm kinda just doing a trial and error thing right now. I'm gonna ground that wire and then check the ECU and get the alternator tested. If they test good I'm gonna go ahead and try and start it up again and hope for the best.

If you keep blowing the 100 amp fuse i would check the wire off of the alternator all the way back to your fuse its not a long wire and it is a simple check. I had the same problem and it turned out my alternator was causing a surge that was blowing them

If you keep blowing the 100 amp fuse i would check the wire off of the alternator all the way back to your fuse its not a long wire and it is a simple check. I had the same problem and it turned out my alternator was causing a surge that was blowing them

Ya I found out the problem with my Alternator but I figured that while my car was down I would go and look for any other problems in the electrical system. So I started tearing apart my interior and here's what I found.
On the last picture I just wanted to know how to pull the ECU, I took out one screw but I wasn't sure which other ones were required to be taken out.
And sorry for having to turn your head sideways, I was trying to get a good angle with my iphone but i failed

Attachments

• IMG_0283[2].jpg
    IMG_0283[2].jpg
    44 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0290[2].jpg
    IMG_0290[2].jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0292[3].jpg
    IMG_0292[3].jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0293[1].jpg
    IMG_0293[1].jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0294[1].jpg
    IMG_0294[1].jpg
    47 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0298[1].jpg
    IMG_0298[1].jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 52
WOW. throw some holy water on it and pray LOL.

is that the radio wiring in the second pic? that is god awful. fix, make it better, and if you can't fix it, find someone who can LOL.

and in the 3rd pic, i am really interested in what the big clip is for. got one of those just hangin out under the dash of both the cars i believe. someone identify it so i can fix it! :)

WOW. throw some holy water on it and pray LOL.

is that the radio wiring in the second pic? that is god awful. fix, make it better, and if you can't fix it, find someone who can LOL.

and in the 3rd pic, i am really interested in what the big clip is for. got one of those just hangin out under the dash of both the cars i believe. someone identify it so i can fix it! :)

Ya thats the radio wiring, it seems that aside from the alternator wires the hack job done on the radio could be the cause of some of my problems, there used to be a system in the car so I assume thats what some of the wires were for but i'm not positive.

Ugh I can't get the damn ECU out to save my life. How many screws are there and where are they all?

I like the cliff notes, I wish everyone would do that. A welded differential wont cause you to not be able to make sharp turns, it may have wrong suspension parts. Eclipses turn like sh** anyway. And its broken. Welcome to dsm.

Oh and take out that alarm, if thats what it is, and make sure all your wires are getting a good connection. That is a nightmare right there.

The first big plugs are for the stock stereo and won't cause any issue if they aren't plugged in.

The second picture is just someones half as way of installing a CD player. It not bad just not the best way to do it. That also won't really cause to may issue with the rest of the car.

The third picture looks to be an old alarm system. That could cause some of the porblems you are having as some upper end alarms tie into a lot of other systems in the vehicle.

The last pictures are hard to make out what those wires are going to. It almost look as if those are wires going to the ECU that have been tapped for soemthign like an AFC or maybe a narrow band O2 sensor. Those aslo could cause some of the issue you are having.

A welded differential wont cause you to not be able to make sharp turns

This is not correct. A welded diff would keep the tires from acting independently when turning make for a larger turning radius.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back