The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G NEW 96 TALON

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SEXYREXY

Probationary Member
Dec 24, 2018
CDA, Idaho
So, I'm planning on buying a bone stock (and when I say bone I mean completely stock even the paint) I've done some research and have found that I should do a full flush of almost all liquids, new spark plugs, new fuel filter, oil change, and new injectors. Is there anything else I should do before starting it and attempting to drive? It's a fwd TSI with literally stock everything and I plan on leaving it that way so I can daily it for a few years then mod it into a street racer. Guy said it doesn't run currently because he was changing the fuel filter when the snow hit so he just covered it and left it that way. Any ideas on what I should do first? I want this to run for a decent amount of time before having to put some serious money into it. It has 208k miles but only 98k on new motor. I'm a newbie but I'm willing to learn from the best. Thanks!

I'm sure you could do some manner of forensic testing, but without purchase receipts and detailed installation invoices, I wouldn't trust it. Unless you know for a fact when the belt was replaced, don't chance it, more of these cars get junked or sidelined by neglegance and a timing belt replacement is cheap insurance.

Unless you know for a fact when the belt was replaced, don't chance it, more of these cars get junked or sidelined by neglegance and a timing belt replacement is cheap insurance.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:
I totally agree. If the engine has 98K, i bet the timing belt has 98k on it. it should have been changed at 60k.
If i had to guess, the timing belt wasn't changed on the original motor, it broke. Then the engine was pulled and replaced with the used engine currently installed.

i would also drain the fuel and fill the tank with fresh gas with a bottle of redline sl-1 ($15 @ o'reilleys)
If you want to be on the safe side, while trying to stay out of boost, drive it till the tank is almost empty, the sl-1 should get rid of most of the carbon deposits on the valves/pistons and clean the injectors (you shouldn't need to replace the injectors).

:thumb::thumb::thumb:
I totally agree. If the engine has 98K, i bet the timing belt has 98k on it. it should have been changed at 60k.
If i had to guess, the timing belt wasn't changed on the original motor, it broke. Then the engine was pulled and replaced with the used engine currently installed.

i would also drain the fuel and fill the tank with fresh gas with a bottle of redline sl-1 ($15 @ o'reilleys)
If you want to be on the safe side, while trying to stay out of boost, drive it till the tank is almost empty, the sl-1 should get rid of most of the carbon deposits on the valves/pistons and clean the injectors (you shouldn't need to replace the injectors).
Thanks so much! I think I'll definitely do this. Not worth risking anything.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back