The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Eagle Talon TSI Running rough

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InfiniteRPM

Probationary Member
Feb 14, 2014
Drayton, ON_Canada
Hey guys I just picked this car up yesteday knowing that it needed work. The guy I bought it from bought it not running and rewired the whole car. The engine has been swapped to a 6 bolt and has a 16G turbo. I have 1000cc injectors that came with it (not yet installed). The car starts if it is in a heated shop but it runs rough until it gets warmed up. Possibly a temp sensor?

Edit- It actually isn't relative to the engine being cold. When we were half way done loading it onto a trailer I shut it off and it wouldnt start again. (blew a coolant line was well when I was picking it up)

Last edited:
If the coolant hose blew it may be due to engine compression leaking into the cooling system

The car is running. Sometimes it doesn't like to start and runs rough as it warms up. I just drove it down the street and back until it started warming up (started leaking coolant) and I parked it, ran great down the road.

I would perform a coolant pressure test to find out where the leak is coming from.

I know where the leak is, coolant line at a gear clamp, I just need a new hose. I'll get one Monday and see if the system holds pressure.

Any way you look at it you should always start with maintenance. I would do a compression test, boost leak test, change all the fluids, plugs wires, air filter, fuel filter, timing belt if needed. Once you get all of the normal maintenance it may fix your problem, if not at least you know its non of the obvious things.

Hey guys, I am really hoping you guys are willing to be patient here, I'm running into a lot of problems.

I'm going to start by saying I have worked on cars in the past, I'm 20 years old currently and when i was 17-19 I was working on cars at a local shop.

That being said, I am finding cut wires all over the place, plugs that arent plugged into anything and receptacles looking for a plug. I have no idea how to tackle this, I don't know what's important or not (Maybe some things were N/A for the swap to a 6-bolt) My Tach/engine temp gauge don't work and I'm sure there's a few other things that aren't working that I havn't discovered yet.

I'm going to stick to getting the car running properly first, then all these problems but I'm hoping someone will be able to be patient with me and run me through all the other problems I'm having.

Anyways, I have changed the oil, fixed the coolant leak, changed coolant. Timing belt can wait for for a month or two (won't be driving it more than 2 mins at a time for now anyways)

Still runs rough on startup but I'll post back when I have drained the feul (it was sitting all winter with 1/4 tank)

vaccume line going to nothing at the bottom and right above there is a plug with nothing in it. Anyone know what they are for? We'll call this photo 1.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Everything is cut coming out of this. (photo 2)

Cut wire (photo 3)

If anyone could help me out it's really appreciated.

+1 on changing the old gas. Is it running rough when you start it but gets better as it warms up?

Yes he said it was sitting with a pile of snow on it. And since it has 1/4 tank in it that worries me.

Looks like your coolant temp sensor isnt conected and you cts for the gauge also. That hose should go to the bov I think also.

Hook up both of those cts sensors and I bet itll run a hell of a lot better and your temp gauge will work too.

I feel like such a noob right now haha. What do I hook those wires up to? I can see the wires (photo 2) right by the plug that need to be connected (the guy I bought it from said it needed a coolant sensor).

On Photo 3 I have no clue what is supposed to connect to that wire, there isn't anything obvious.

For the BOV, The vacuum line comes off, Then goes to a T. One going to the manifold and one going to a small electronic box (all three hoses are in next picture)

Also thanks "Insane20" for your help so far.

Cts= black with white wire and black wire

Cts for gauge is just one wire I think its red but id have to check.

If you have a line going to the bov and you have a line going to the fpr then im not sure why that one hose dosent go any where unless if its supposed to go to your pcv valve on the valve cover.

And dont worry youll get the hang of dsms. We were all new at one time.

Cts= black with white wire and black wire

Cts for gauge is just one wire I think its red but id have to check.

If you have a line going to the bov and you have a line going to the fpr then im not sure why that one hose dosent go any where unless if its supposed to go to your pcv valve on the valve cover.

And dont worry youll get the hang of dsms. We were all new at one time.

Okay the Cts is ripped out at the sensor. I will order one in the morning and change the gas. Thanks a lot :thumb: I'll let you know how it goes.

CTS for gauge, red with white stripe I think.

So I put the sensor in yesterday. I need a new one for the gauge I think as it still isnt working. Car fired up and idles normally so I parked it outside for the night so see how it would start in the cold in the morning. It started in the morning and stalled a few seconds after the initial start up, then started and ran fine. Certainly better than before.

Something I have done in the past (and still kind of do) is find a car with a similar motor and take pictures of sensor wires and hose routes (junkyards are helpful) also can you take a pic of the whole engine bay maybe we can spot some issues.

In photo3 that appears to be a MAP sensor. Hard for me to tell with only half of it showing.

Photo 2, I believe the top one is AC related closest to the hose. The bottom two are what you need.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back