The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Need to Vent. New Engine, Low Compression.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightRider97

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 29, 2006
SW, Nebraska
I just had a fresh 6 bolt engine installed in my GST, probably don't even have 1000 miles on it yet. I started to notice my EGT's were getting high during cruising conditions, so I started to investigate the cause. Began to think my cams came out of time somehow, but sure cant find any signs of that. So I reverted back to the way I was brought up through the hotrod world, by some old timers, and I know a few different tricks that lead to answers you sometimes don't expect to find. So I started by pulling the plugs and examining them, couldn't find any signs of aluminum on them, very sooty though. Next I decided to do a compression check, found some depressing news there. My new engine with 1000 miles on it already needs a rebuild for some reason. The numbers were as follows, 155 120 130 130. That sucks. I'm gonna guess for some reason the rings didn't take. With modern ring technology they should be seated by now, and by no means should one be as low as 120psi. So I'll dig up a leak down tester and check for exactly where the leakage is coming from, probably tomorrow.
After that I did a boost leak test, and found that my turbo outlet coupler had almost blown completely off. So I fixed that, after i got that fixed my oil dipstick blew out of the tube (signs of excessive ring wear). Ugh. This is so frustrating. :banghead:

It was a fresh rebuild, I know the engine builder and the mechanic that installed it, that was put into another guys car for a few hundred miles. He decided that the engine didn't produce enough horsepower so he pulled it and sold it to me so he could build an all out race motor. I've had it in my car for probably 800 miles.
There's no doubt that this engine was completely gone through 1000 miles ago. I just don't understand what could cause the rings to go out so fast.

I did a breaking period on it just for the heck of it when I got it in my car. Never figured it wouldn't take, or had already been screwed up. I down shift with it once a day to help ensure the rings are seated. Aside from rings, it would have to be valves not sealing properly. Honestly I can't imagine either one. But I'll find out when I do the leak down test.

You said the guy who had it first didn't feel it made enough horse power. How would he know with a proper break in? It should not be seeing anywhere near max out put for at least 500miles.

Chances are this motor was dropped in and beaten on by the previous owner.

Also did he use engine break in oil the first time he started it? did he use 20 pounds of boost? he could of mest it up in the first 100 miles! the rings and seals might not of worn in right, does it push out blue smoke the first time you start it in the morning? and if not then have someone behind you watch you at a stop light and when you accelerate does it push out blue smoke then!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back