The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Need some help trouble shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex2342

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 30, 2004
Mckeesport, Pennsylvania
I did my head gasket today and everything seemed to go smoothly. I replaced the t-belt and b-belt too. After struggling with the t-belt a few times I got rather irritated and left it at 1/2 tooth out of time. The car runs and drives but runs very rough and won't make any power at all. My boost guage is reading like 10 inches of vacuum at idle. It used to read around 19-20. I've gone over everything 3 times looking for something I may have left disconnected like maybe a vacuum line or something but can't find anything out of place. Would that 1/2 tooth be causing all this trouble? I'm going to do it over again in the morning but just though I'd get some more ideas on what else it could be.

Another possibility could be a kink in the vaccuum line running from your boost gauge. I know this happened to me when I was re-doing my gauges, causing it to block some vaccuum to the gauge at idle.

a dsm noob i know installed a new waterpump and had his timing off 1/2 a tooth..his car ran like dog crap..

fix it and your problem will go away.

It won't start at all now. I was going to try to get to my buddies house after work tonight and fix it but now its to dark to work on and I can't get her started to drive her to the garage. I tried messing with the CAS to get it to start but it's not happening. I guess I'll have to wait to do it in the morning. I'll check the boost gauge line while I'm out there but I'm pretty sure now that it's the timing.

Do you have balance shafts ? Did you rotate them completely after doing the timing

Problem solved!!! I managed to get it to my buddies garage via the flatbed and found the problem. The tin piece with the timing notch on it that sits behind the lower timing gear was on backwards. The damn plate goes on either way but when it's flipped it advances the timing by roughly 15 degrees. Luckily it didn't do any damage to anything and she's purring like a kitten again!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back