The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Need help with my Engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackRaptor

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
Owatonna, Minnesota
Okay my car is burning oil which it's using about 1/2 a qt per tank of gas which doesn't bug me it's the dang smoking thats bugging me.

Does that smoke stop you put into your oil really help with that? my goal is to try to make it through the summer on this engine then when it's cold i'll rebuild the motor.

Also i can get a different engine from the junk yard for around a 800 to a grand with 75K miles on it.
Would it be cheaper to do this or rebuild the one i have.
What will parts run me to build this engine?

One last question.

When the motor gets into the higher RPM band around 4500 to 6 it makes a sound that kind sounds like moving air when the valves start leaking do they make this sound?
i know it's not the intake from the air box because my last Eclipse never made this sound. just wondering if my oil burning is because i have lose valves.
just trying to milk the life out of the motor for now.

Thanks in advance for the help :thumb:

Check your pcv valve change that out mine made aloud noise when i started geting up in the high rpm, The oil leak you need to be more detailed on there oil leak kits you could try to find the problem

thanks for the info
Can i get the oil leak kit from an auto zone or napa?
The oil leak has me confused it's very white stinky smoke sells like burnt oil.
also while the motor is cold it will sometimes drop out a very little amount of oil out the tail pipe that was grey. but it's only done that once.
I'm guessing rings is whats bad.

FYI: This is the engine management forum...this should be in the regular bolt-on tech ;)

Start off with a compression check, let us know how that comes out. :thumb:

Compression test + Leak down test.

If any oil is coming up and out of the breather (which you might not have if you have the stock intake box) But when that started happening to mine, my rings were done, oil was coming up from the crank.

The white smoke could also mean your head gasket is finished too, but those two tests are in order.

Aweomse thanks guys i'll go have those tests done.
Sorry about putting this in the wrong forums.
If a Mod could move it that would be great.
I'll let you guys know what the oucome is. I'll get to one done tonight or tomorow night.

Funny thing is the motor runs perfect if it wasn't for the smoke you wouldn't think anything was wrong starts up easy runs fine when cold or hot power is a little less then normal but about the same as i remember from my RS i had last year.

One other bit of info
There was no coolent in the oil.
I dropped the oil and it seemed pretty clean.
I'm really leaning twards valves but with my luck it's rings.

BigRand said:
Where exactly is the smoke coming from, if your really lucky it could be as simple as burning oil from the valve cover gasket.

That would be nice. Only problem is that the smoke is coming from the tail pipe. Usually Valve cover gasket leaks will run down and burn off on the headers.

Tests are in order. Let us know the results so we can further help. Goodluck.

Going to have a leak down test tonight.
Here is what i know so far from my own little checks.

Smoke is coming from the tail pipe it's blue.
It smokes worse the longer it sits and idles in one spot.
If i get off the freeway and stop it doesn't smoke right away it takes a about 30 sec before it starts smoking which makes me think the valves are letting oil leak down into the jug.

if i step on the gas after an idle it blows out a bit more smoke but soon as i get into the high RMP band and go fast and stop again smoke takes a sec or two to start coming out again.

The motor runs good. the idle will burp a little right around 500 rpms when coming to a stop at a stop sign, which it likes to burp most when it's smoking a lot which makes sense. when getting off the freeway it runs like a champ.

If it is valves someone told me about a Valve guide seal kit made of neoprem that may help. anyone hear of this?

Just my luck no one has the leakdown test in my town everyone kept trying to do comp tests.
Guess i'll have to do some calling and searching and get it done this weekend.
in the mean time the Eclpise sits. Smells too much to drive haha

That sucks man, usually its not cause they cna't do a leakdown, its because they dont' wan to spend the time doing one, when a compression test is much easier and faster.

Yeah sorry to hear that. Try checking outside the edge of your town. You may find some not too far. It's worth the extra drive.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back