The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

need help limp mode

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottypimppin

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 16, 2009
essex, Maryland
ok so i had a bad tcu i took it out and saw there was a leaking cap so i took it out cleaned it out and put a new cap back in but still no shift stuck in 3rd get so im thinking its in limp mode how would i get it out of limp mode??

so noone knows how to take a car out of limp mode?

how would i get it out of limp mode?

Assuming it's in limp mode because of a bad TCU replacing it with a working one will take care of it.

Unlike the ECUs, when the 47uF cap leaks in the TCU there is a high chance that the leakage will cause the voltage regulator for the 5v to fail and dump battery voltage onto the 5v rail and fry the CPU and other chips. Sounds like that may be the case here.

You need the exact same part number TCU when replacing one due to the various differences between years in things like the solenoid valves and such.

If the problem isn't the TCU then reading the codes from it will provide clues as to why the trans is in limp mode. you do it the same way as a 1G ECU but use pin 6 on the DLC connector (top right pin vs top left for the ECU). The codes can be found in the transmission section of the 1G FSM. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/fre...tions/344490-download-1g-service-manuals.html

TCU cap leakage aren't as forgiving as the ECU's. Chances are it's done for. If you car is a FWD I have a TCU for that car. The # is MD750093. I bought it for my car but realized I need the MD750092 so I have no use for this one. Mine is a 91AWD. The TCU I have for sell is a refurbished one. PM if you want it. Check for codes though first. I don't believe the TCU will red flag itself like the ECU will but it will give you a place to start. If you get no pulses at all check the TCU fuse it can be found in the fuse box by DLC. good luck.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back