The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Need help finding out what i did

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sepezmm

Probationary Member
Jan 26, 2023
Morganton, North_Carolina
So i have a 1992 1.8L manual 1g eclipse and a couple weeks ago my car was running some issues but would always start but whenever i was looking for the IAC i took this part out thinking it was this and ever since then the car hasn’t ran. Did me taking this part out cause this? i have fuel, spark, compression and it just cranks but doesn’t start.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Try a small pick you can get at HF. It should pull it out.

Harbor Freight:

I have never had one apart, only replaced them so I can't answer that. Sorry

I have never had one apart, only replaced them so I can't answer that. Sorry
what do you recommend i should do? i feel like i did something i wasn’t supposed to and i’ve searched everywhere for this part but no luck

Find a replacement is all you can do. Check RockAuto for your specific model and motor or one of our other supporting vendors. :thumb:

Its been about 3 decades since I owned a 1.8, but I believe the ISC is the narrow, cylindrical thing to the left of what you removed in your pic. Its a servo motor and helps control the idle by opening the throttle plate itself. Not sure what you removed, but it could be the FIAV based on location and pieces you pulled out

Its been about 3 decades since I owned a 1.8, but I believe the ISC is the narrow, cylindrical thing to the left of what you removed in your pic. Its a servo motor and helps control the idle by opening the throttle plate itself. Not sure what you removed, but it could be the FIAV based on location and pieces you pulled out
also looks like i broke it:ohdamn: do you have any idea where i can buy another? having a hard time finding information or anything for this car

also looks like i broke it:ohdamn: do you have any idea where i can buy another? having a hard time finding information or anything for this car
I don't see the part listed online for a 1.8l. Have you tried car-part.com? You can punch in the vehicle and find nearby salvage yards. You would probably need to look at buying a replacement throttle body at that point. when you call you call ask if it has sensors, etc.

I don't see the part listed online for a 1.8l. Have you tried car-part.com? You can punch in the vehicle and find nearby salvage yards. You would probably need to look at buying a replacement throttle body at that point. when you call you call ask if it has sensors, etc.
just did and i found some does it matter what year from the 1g eclipse 1990-1994? and the iac valve looks so long too. i’m honestly just lost

just did and i found some does it matter what year from the 1g eclipse 1990-1994? and the iac valve looks so long too. i’m honestly just lost
If you look up a 92 Eclipse with a 1.8L on there, it shouldn't redirect you to incompatible parts. If you find one I imagine it will come with the Throttle Position Sensor, Fast Idle Air Valve, Idle Speed Control Motor attached (one of which may have been faulty and you disassembled it). Hopefully each of the components work, but if they are on there I would just leave them be and try to replace the entire unit. If you call the junkyard and ask about it you can make sure it has all sensors in tact and they might not know if they are working, but being there is a good start. If you can't find it with all or missing sensors you will need to plan accordingly.

If you look up a 92 Eclipse with a 1.8L on there, it shouldn't redirect you to incompatible parts. If you find one I imagine it will come with the Throttle Position Sensor, Fast Idle Air Valve, Idle Speed Control Motor attached (one of which may have been faulty and you disassembled it). Hopefully each of the components work, but if they are on there I would just leave them be and try to replace the entire unit. If you call the junkyard and ask about it you can make sure it has all sensors in tact and they might not know if they are working, but being there is a good start. If you can't find it with all or missing sensors you will need to plan accordingly.
alright sounds good thanks so much for your help I will update whenever I get to it

was able to only find one in my area this is what i was sent and just wondering if this is even worth driving and trying?

It appears to have all three sensors in tact along with the pigtail should you end up needing them, which you probably won't, but still a nice to have. The sensor you were looking at replacing appears to be a part of that unit as best as I can tell. I think it'd be worth risking since yours was already throwing a code. If you end up getting it, I wouldn't suggest trying to swap sensors around. Just unbolt your entire throttle body and replace with this other one you get.

You could probably have it shipped also if it's not a huge rush.

Last edited:
It appears to have all three sensors in tact along with the pigtail should you end up needing them, which you probably won't, but still a nice to have. The sensor you were looking at replacing appears to be a part of that unit as best as I can tell. I think it'd be worth risking since yours was already throwing a code.
yeah honestly because i cannot find the part anywhere online or the name for the life of me

The gamble is, all three sensors may not work. But, odds are at least one does. I would take the risk if I needed one. It is up to you if you want to see about them shipping it or just driving out to get it.

The gamble is, all three sensors may not work. But, odds are at least one does. I would take the risk if I needed one. It is up to you if you want to see about them shipping it or just driving out to get it.
yeah and the guy does not know if it even works too and ofc no shipping. i’ll be heading there tm morning so i’ll keep updating!

4hours of driving later and the car still wont start and now i’m just lost and don’t know what to do now:confused:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back