The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Need a new tranny, help please!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViciousVendetta

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 18, 2003
CaliforniaUS
Hey guys, my tranny is trashed (long story) so now I need something new. My car is sitting at RRE right now and I only have a couple options as of now. Buy a junkyard tranny and have it rebuilt, or buy a new factory tranny for $2100. The new factory trannys fix many of their origional problems like double coning the second gear syncro, oil filter screen etc... Or spend $3000+ on a full race tranny. Do you guys know of any other options? I have a 91 awd, core is unusable, 16g powered so its not going to be putting out HUGE power. A friend mentioned getting a japanese one cheap, brand new... I have no knowledge about that kinda thing. I have to call Tony back tomorrow so any opinions would help, thanks! :dsm:

i would talk to shep at shepracing.com best tranny's out there other then a dog box

I did, I actually talked to John himself on the phone! :p But his brand new trannys start at $2200 and its pretty much the same as the factory one that RRE is getting for me. So Im just having rre order me one and put it in... I would definetly go with Sheps tranny if I had more money, but another $1000 for a full race tranny is tough for me.

Junkyard and replace only what needs to be replaced. Check the tranny before paying as much as you can. Turn input shaft in neutral, gears, watch the output. Check if it stays in gears by playing with a shift lever(s) on the tranny.. Should cost considerably less than a new one. To crack a tranny open is 350 if I 'm correct. Parts should run another 3-600 depending on the condition. May be you 'll be able to throw an upgraded senter diff in at the end and still be within the money limit :)

I thought about that but its too much of a hassle... I dont have another car to use to go search for a junker since my parents both work. So RRE is just putting in a brand new one for me and im eating the cost. But now I just need some logging software and it will be time to hit the track! :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back