1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Street Build My First DSM (1g)

Year:
Model/Trim:
Eagle Talon TSi AWD
Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. AllenTallen

AllenTallen Probationary Member

Joined Oct 3, 2020
    Houston, Texas

Street Build 144  2

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 237  1

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  2. AllenTallen

Joined Oct 3, 2020
    Houston, Texas
    Thank you all for welcoming me. All started January 31, 2020 when I seen a 4 door sedan at the 1/8th mile beating every car it lined up with. Shooting fire balls after every shift. Growing up around v8s my whole life I never took interest in anything else until this night. Went down to see what kind of vehicle it was turned out to be a Galant VR-4 which I had never heard of thinking it was 2jz swapped (ignorance) haha I took pictures of the car like a creep because I was so shocked it was able to beat brand new 40k cars. Later that night I studied the platform and that’s where is all started. I looked hard for a GVR-4 and just had to travel way too far to get one. 2 months later discovered the Eagle Talon which had the same motor, AWD and turbo! Loved the look of them as well. 7 months later I’m taking a 18hr round trip to Arkansas to pick up my first 1g DSM!!

Attached Files:

Street Build 144  2

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 237  1

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    1g502, pat white, XC92 and 1 other person like this.
  3. XC92

XC92 Proven Member

Joined Jul 22, 2020
    Queens, New York
    Welcome to the club! I've had my '92 Talon TSi AWD manual trans for over 28 years now and love it. I'm now in the process of restoring it if you care to follow my threads. It's actually in decent shape but the clutch gave out some years ago and I couldn't afford the repairs at the time so I just let it sit in a driveway, and finally decided to just fix it myself and while I was at it replace a bunch of parts that are worn and clean it up a bit.

I actually had to travel some distance to pick mine up when I bought it. Not as far as you though, around 100 miles. But the model I wanted was hard to find and I had to call a bunch of dealers till I found it. Like you I bought it over the phone, sight unseen. The car sold itself.

Anyway, hope you like the car and owning it.

357  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    AllenTallen likes this.
  4. AllenTallen

Joined Oct 3, 2020
    Houston, Texas
    No way! Now that’s awesome! Had the car for 28 years. Very cool. Which I would’ve known about this car when I was younger. It’s an awesome platform. That’s cool what all did you replace while replacing the clutch? Awesome man! I will be following your build thread

Street Build 144  2

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 237  1

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    XC92 likes this.
  5. XC92

XC92 Proven Member

Joined Jul 22, 2020
    Queens, New York
    It's not a build thread, per se, just a bunch of different threads in different subforums asking questions about how to do this or that or which parts to get, and detailing what I've been doing, my progress, what's still left to do, etc. Aside aside from the clutch (getting an SBC Stage 2 daily driver, if that means anything to you), I'm replacing the front end bushings, ball joints, tied rod ends, strut links, transmission seals, wheel bearings, struts/mounts, pads, rotors, timing belt, belts, filters, fluids, and so on. I'm also doing a lot of cleaning, derusting and painting, of the underbody and parts.

I'm basically trying to get it as close to the condition it was in when I got it as possible without spending a ton. The exterior also needs some work, but it's not structural so I'm leaving that for later. At this point I want to keep it more or less stock, and when I'm done I'll decide if I want to take it further. I have lots of memories with it so it's not just a car to me. I actually took it on a long cross-country trip less than a week after I bought it, that whole seeing the country thing up close instead of from a plane. In fact it was why I bought, as I'd been wanting to do it for some time and figured why not do it in a fun car, which it was.

Maybe at some point I'll actually post a build thread.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your Talon, and that it's in good shape. Feel free to ask any questions you want, there are lots of knowledgeable and helpful folks here. And keep us posted on your new car.

357  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    AllenTallen likes this.
  6. AllenTallen

Joined Oct 3, 2020
    Houston, Texas
    Sorry for the late reply I’ve been so busy with the search button I haven’t had time to see I had a reply on the build thread. That’s awesome what you’re going to do I’m in the process of doing the exact same. Since this is my first DSM I’m doing as much maintenance as I can before I try to ad any power. What is SBC stage 2 as you mention? Also are you going with aftermarket mounts? I went with the prothane mounts from STMtuned.

That’s awesome. How many miles on your car? Thank you very much! This site has helped so much within the past month. Bought some stickers and a shirt to support.

Street Build 144  2

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 237  1

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  7. XC92

XC92 Proven Member

Joined Jul 22, 2020
    Queens, New York
    SBC stands for South Bend Clutch, and I got my clutch kit from them. It's a "Stage 2 Daily Driver" which means that it can handle more power than a stock clutch but not crazy power. Like, up to the low 300's I believe. And it's for cars driven daily and not mostly raced. I think that stages go up to 4. Google it, there's lots of info on it online. I spoke to a tech at SBC and based on my situation and driving style and needs it looked like the Stage 2 DD was for me, but probably the Stage 1 would have worked for me too. It was only around $80 more so what the hell I thought.

I haven't and don't intend to replace the mounts on my car, but I did replace all the other front end bushings, meaning subframe, lower control arm and stabilizer bar. I've heard that poly engine mounts create a lot of vibration in the cabin, which I definitely don't want. This car's for driving, not racing. Hopefully the bushings won't make for too harsh a ride. But handling should be tight.

The car has around 78k miles. It's a '92, so that's not a lot. Been cross-country and back twice though. It's a great long-distance driver, especially on back roads but also on rural and windy stretches of interstate, particularly in mountainous terrain.

Do you know what condition the car is in and what work it needs at a minimum?

357  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  8. AllenTallen

Joined Oct 3, 2020
    Houston, Texas
    Doing the Timing belt kit & more over Thanksgiving break :hellyeah: Going to clean up the 30 year old gunk & Changing the following parts:

1. Timing Belt
    2. Balancer Belt
    3. Tensioner
    4. Front main seal
    5. Oil pump seal
    6. Balancer shaft seal
    7. Water pump
    8. (2) Cam seals
    9. Spark plug seals
    10. Valve cover gasket
    11. Half Moon
    12. Spark plugs
    13. Spark plug Wires

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020

Street Build 144  2

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 237  1

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  9. AllenTallen

Joined Oct 3, 2020
    Houston, Texas
    Everything went well :cool: Was a PITA to get the tension right on the timing belt, other then that about 2 days of work on and off she’s done. Now still have a tiny oil leak I’m thinking it’s coming from either my oil pan gasket Or somewhere LOL :confused: in the process of ordering the gasket for the oil filter housing which I hear leak a lot as well as a oil pan gasket. Really trying to do this car the right way and not skip out on any details.

Attached Files:

Street Build 144  2

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 237  1

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    XC92 and pat white like this.
  10. XC92

XC92 Proven Member

Joined Jul 22, 2020
    Queens, New York
    Nice job! I see you got the Gates "Blue" timing belt, which is the only recommended non-OEM one for a lot of folks. I need to replace my TB soon along with all the components one typically replaces in a TB job, e.g. pulleys, tensioners, water pump, etc., pretty soon. Also the 3 accessory belts. I've yet to decide which TB or kit to get. I was going to get the basic, non-"Blue" Gates, but now I'm not sure.

Looks like there are some basic mods on your car, on the intake side, e.g. exposed K&N air filter and intake hose. Did you do that or it came that way? I also see you got a new NGK plug wire set. It's the same one I got, along with new NGK plugs, the basic copper kind everyone recommends.

Here's what I've done so far:

Cleaned all 4 wheels
    Cleaned all 4 rotors
    Cleaned & painted all 4 wheel wells & covers
    Cleaned, derusted, painted & rebuilt all 4 brake calipers (with new speed bleeders)
    Replaced old brake fluid with new & bled all 4 brakes
    Cleaned all accessible parts of engine bay, including engine, oil pan, trans, etc.
    Cleaned & painted underside of car front of exhaust heat shield
    Cleaned, derusted & painted all front & rear suspension parts, e.g. control arms, trailing arms, etc.
    Cleaned, derusted & painted front cross & center members, gusset & mounts (except left engine)
    Removed, cleaned, derusted & painted steering rack
    Replaced inner & outer tie rods & bellows
    Removed, cleaned, derusted & painted subframe
    Replaced bushings on subframe & front lower control arms & stabilizer bar
    Replaced ball joints on front lower control arms
    Replaced connecting links on front stabilizer bar
    Cleaned CV axles & greased splined outer ends (essential to be able to remove in future)
    Cleaned outside of transmission & transfer case (& lubed t-case input & output)
    Cleaned inside of trans bell housing including input & output shafts (which I then lightly lubed)
    Cleaned, derusted & painted air filter box
    Cleaned, derusted & painted battery tray & brace & front license plate holder
    Cleaned engine rear (where flywheel bolts to crankshaft output)
    Installed new clutch kit along with OEM throwout bearing
    Cleaned & derusted clutch fork, fulcrum & clip
    Replaced trans & t-case oil
    Refilled power steering fluid (with ATF+ 4, NOT PSF)
    Topped off oil & coolant
    Replaced oil clutch fluid with new & bled
    Removed plugs, squirted oil into holes (actually Marvel's Mystery Oil) & cranked engine by hand
    Cleaned battery terminals & box & installed new battery (Interstate Group 86 from Costco)
    New 80A alternator fusible link (old one burnt out) & several other 10-15A fuses
    Cleaned car body & windows including undersills
    New wipers (all silicone)
    Some new bulbs (LEDs)
    Drained as much of the old gas as I could & added fresh new 93 octane & Chevron Techron

There's a lot I still need to do:

New air filter
    New plugs & wires
    Replace valve cover gasket
    Drain oil, remove, clean & reinstall oil pan
    New oil & filter (several cycles, with cleaner, to really flush things out)
    Replace timing belts, idlers, pulleys, tensioners, water pump & thermostat
    Flush, clean & replace coolant
    Clean, derust & coat gas tank & replace fuel strainer & filter
    New front struts, mounts, bellows, bumpers & pads (& rerust & repaint seats)
    New rear struts, mounts, bellows, bumpers & pads (& rerust & repaint seats)
    New rear bushings, ball joints & stabilizer bar connectors
    Clean, derust & paint rear body, subframe, diff & diff carrier
    Clean, derust & paint t-case (only did partial job so far)
    Clean, derust & paint entire exhaust pipe (or replace if in bad shape)
    Replace rear oil seal & gasket
    New flywheel
    New clutch slave cylinder (& add fluid & bleed & adjust master cylinder rod bolt)
    Clean, derust & paint shift & select levers & replace bushings (& maybe cable too)
    Fix transmission issues (mainly popping out of 1st gear but maybe more)
    Replace all trans & t-case seals
    Replace rear diff fluid
    Replace front wheel bearings & seals
    Clean, derust & paint steering knuckles
    New tires (& possibly wheels)
    Remove a bunch of scratches, scuffs, dents & dings on body
    Repaint hood & hatch & touch up other areas
    Replace broken lamp assemblies & all other bulbs (with LEDs)
    Fix door alignment issue
    Fix door lock & handle issues
    Fix power windows & mirrors issues
    Fix radio issue
    Fix rear defroster
    Replace headliner
    Clean & detail interior
    Clean, derust & paintunderbody of middle of car
    Clean, derust, paint & relube propeller shaft

I'm sure I left some things out. I have many of these parts already and just haven't gotten to the tasks involved. This restoration has taken way longer and has been much more involved than I expected. But isn't that always the case?

But when it's all done, I'll have an essentially brand new car that looks nearly new and drives, handles and feels better than when I first bought it, that if I take good care of it I'll be able to resell for a decent amount when the time finally comes.

There weren't many turbo AWD manuals sold in the 1Gs, it's 6-bolt on the crank but also 4 bolt on the rear axle, and even with all this work it was in fairly decent shape to begin with, so it's a relatively rare DSM at this point, what with so many having long since been "retired".

357  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  11. Rick_4g63

Rick_4g63 Supporting Member

Joined Nov 25, 2011
    Palmdale, California
    Welcome to the DSM world.
    1gs are total sleepers for those that don't know what they are.
    I'm curious tho, why was it a PITA to get the tension right?
    Did you use the timing tool kit?

2K  7

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    488 whp · 389 lb/ft · 1G DSM

64  3

1998 Mitsubishi Montero (Winter Package)
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles
    AllenTallen likes this.
  12. AllenTallen

Joined Oct 3, 2020
    Houston, Texas

Ohh ok south bend clutch. Yes I’ve heard of that brand and heard very good things from them. First time hearing from them in the Dodge Cummins forum. I was thinking about getting one for my truck. I haven’t done too much research on clutches since the previous owner has the clutch replaced not too long ago. When I come around to it south bend clutch will definitely be option. Talking with a tech person really helped I bet.

Ok yes I heard that the poly engine mount to create a bit of vibration. When I bought the car it wasn’t complete smooth on idle and had a good amount of vibration. Me not knowing the car well I thought it was normal. When I decided to take my from timing cover off I discovered the balancer Belt was sheared right off. So that’s where most of my vibration probably are from and also forgot to mention the side motor mount was SHOT. When I did all the belt replacements and prothane motor mount the car was very quiet on idle and driving. Way better then it was when I bought it. Same as you I want the car to be more of a driver then racing that’s why I did not remove the balancer shaft. I want to enjoy this car for what it is and also want it to perform when I get on the gas Ofcourse haha

78k miles is impressive for a 92’! Wow that’s awesome.

My car is in good condition not great. Interior needs work. The front dash seems to come off oddly and the door panels look like they have been off too many times making them very loose. The car has the beige leather. Which is ripping on the driver seat. As far as mechanical I’m searching for this oil leak. It is equipped with DSM link V3 so I will later on be able to tune it once all maintenance is done. Car has 149k so want to go over everything in the car mechanic and electrical. Good thing there is no rust at all. It’s an Arkansas car and they don’t salt the roads so that was a big plus.

Street Build 144  2

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 237  1

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  13. AllenTallen

Joined Oct 3, 2020
    Houston, Texas

Yes sir! Thank you! The Blue Kevlar Gates Belt was the best fit for me. I was going to go with the OEM Mitsubishi belt but lots of researched showed that the Gates belt had better strength and made of better material. The blue does looks nice too hahah Nice I would definitely get a TB kit I have a huge parts number list if you ever needed assistance with part numbers. I have a 1990 which only makes one part different from the 1992 and that’s the Idler bolt. I got my Kit from STMtuned.com. Very nice people to deal with and shipping is always fairly quick. Website is super easy to work with as well. They have a variety of TB kits available from OEM, GATES & HKS.

As far as the K&N and intake hose the previous owner did. I heard the “Dejon” Intake hose was pretty rare being they are discontinued. The previous owner was a big DSM fan and owned the car for about 7 years. He did very little mods to the car which I liked because while I was searching for a 1g DSM almost every single one was either modded or gutted.

Wow you’ve done so much already! I’m going to save what you have done so I can go back and see if my car needs any attention in those areas. How do you like the clutch so far? I do have one issue I would like to address soon. That’s when I pressure down to shift gears I have to press ALL THE WAY DOWN on the clutch just to shift gears like as if I need to adjust the pedal or something. So I adjusted the pedal as far as I can and still has same issue.

Your “to do” list is very similar to mine. One day you should post a build thread I would really like to see the process.

You’re very right about that. Reason it was so hard to find the right car for me

Street Build 144  2

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 237  1

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  14. AllenTallen

Joined Oct 3, 2020
    Houston, Texas

Thank you for the welcome!! & you’re very right about that.Yes sir I did use the STM cam gear locker and the tensioner bolt used to load the tensioner. It was a PITA just because there are multiple ways on going about getting the correct tension on the belt but all include turning the motor by hand multiple times and loosening and re-tightening the tension pulley. Mainly a PITA because I kept second guessing myself :p haha but She’s tensioned just fine the Timing belt maintenance write up on the VFAQ.com Was a HUGE HELP

Street Build 144  2

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 237  1

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  15. XC92

XC92 Proven Member

Joined Jul 22, 2020
    Queens, New York
    I'll probably replace the TB and related parts over the next few months. I'm kind of tired from all the work I've done so far, with yet more to be done before this "phase" is over, so hopefully the current belt still has some life in it. It looks in good condition from removing the top cover. That gives me time to research which one to get. Lots of options.

I can't really comment on the clutch because the original slave cylinder's leaking so it's impossible disengage the clutch and shift into or change gears. I've got an OEM on order that's supposed to arrive later this week. Hopefully that'll fix the leak and I'll be driving the car again soon after an over 5 year wait. It's been so long so I can wait a bit longer.

All that remains in this "phase" is replacing the front struts and mounts, which I already have, and a tuneup and oil change. But the next "phase" can't wait too long as it's drivetrain-related. I need to fix a trans issue and put in a new flywheel, and replace some seals.

Some of the things I've done weren't "really" necessary. I just wanted a refresh and minor upgrade, and to get rid of decades of rust, dirt, grime and road yech. I just didn't feel right knowing there was all that crap down below, and the rust would have eventually compromised structural integrity.

357  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 1G DSM