The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

My first DSM 1G GSX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontkillme63

Proven Member
Mar 13, 2013
JBER, Alaska
So finally after years of looking i found a 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX ran like a dream when i test drove it, decided hey what the heck ive been looking for a while and why not so i bought it. So today i drove it home and as soon as i jump on the gas it starts to sputter and stall and lurch :banghead:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=133220&c=501

I have been looking at a few of the forums discussing some of these problems and tomarrow im going to bring some of my tools home to start checking the common problems off, however im kinda of a newb when it comes to cars. Im a learn by doing type of guy but some Destructions to help guide me always help. Any help from you guys would be awsome.

do a boost leak test, make sure all ## clamps on the intake are snug down, then check ## o rings on ## injectors make sure they look good. do a compression test if possible. check spark. then get back to us. hope u figure it out and this helps.:hellyeah::shhh:

So i looked everything over and noticed the ignition wire cap clips are all broken and one was barely in so i think they are popping out when i hit bumps which causes it to have those problems. How would i fix the caps to put new ones with clips back on?

those brittle injector clips are very common 1g problem. also welcome to tuners and congrats on ## first dsm. my first dsm was a red 90 talon awd. first things i would do is a boost leak test, get some bpr6es ngk plugs and wires. stay with ngk they are proven very effective in our dsm and only use copper plugs no platinum or irridium. and change all the fluids.

p.s. how many miles are on it. it wouldnt hurt to look into a new timing belt also. these are interference engines if that belt lets go your looking at an new engine.

Unless you've got records on the timing belts changes, I wouldn't drive it until you've put new ones on. It'll save you alot of heartburn later on. If they have over 60K on them, you're on borrowed time.

If you intend to keep it a long while, do timing belt, balance shaft belt, water pump and wouldn't hurt to put new tensioner on and new idlers. The cars are old. How much abuse it's seen is unknown and in some isntances, if it has had an engine swap, true mileage is unknown. Even a new oil pump would be a good idea.

The car has 126k miles on it. I have a set of brand new KGK plugs that came with it, I have to figure out how to make sure the spacing is right on them and then install them. Was planning on swapping the belt soon as well, looks newer but Ide rather not chance it. Thanks for all the help guys.

So your probably all going to hate me but i hate the original rims so i bought a set of 17x7s for lowpros. Putting them on this Sunday and will post pics after installed. What do you guys think for a new turbo, 16g or 20g?

People don't exactly have the best taste sometimes I've noticed, but as long as you don't put deep dish, meshies or chrome rims on I think you'll be ok. Leave the deep dish and meshies to me! :thumb:

but definitely post up some pic's of the new shoes man.

is there somthing wrong with the turbo thats in it. if your car is stock or close to stock i would stick with the stock 14b. if its on its way out the door then i would grab another 14b they can be had for very cheap or look for a good deal on a 16g. but a 16g is as big as i would go on a mostly stock system. otherwise you will have mad lag and thats no fun. i recommend going to the top of the page goto the tech bar and goto upgrade paths, select basic HP upgrades and follow that path. it has been proven effective over and over again. also while your there read the maintinace section as well. :) these pages give good direction for you if you dont quite know where to start or where to go from where your at. good luck and where are the pics of the new rims.

FYI the timing belt can look brand new and snap that day. When in doubt change it out. Take the ambitions of a new turbo and put them out a year when you get the supporting mods, and maintenence is done. Not to mention a bigger turbo on a stock set up will make LESS power than the 14b

I plan on getting the timing belt changed after this snow stops. I have almost all of the upgrades on the stage one upgrade list minus the manifold is still stock. Plan on getting a new ones the 30th but I dunno what brand to get, there quite a few out there with varying prices, Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I plan on getting the timing belt changed after this snow stops. I have almost all of the upgrades on the stage one upgrade list minus the manifold is still stock. Plan on getting a new ones the 30th but I dunno what brand to get, there quite a few out there with varying prices, Any input would be greatly appreciated.

For exhaust Mani 2g is good starting out, usually can be had for $80
That's great you've got some upgrades done but what I said still holds true... Turbo is step 6 of stage 2 so still not a good idea... that would leave u stock intercooler, no logging software, stock injectors. a 16g on the lowest boost setting (ported to prevent creep, 34mm flaper) will still do 15psi and Max out stock injectors 100%+ trust me I did it! But with link, a wideband, ect. Without that you're guessing and hoping.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has 750cc injectors, still has stock intercooler been looking for a good front mount as well. Running 15psi of boost on stock turbo, I lowered it, was set at 20 when I got it. Did not know if the stock turbo could take 20psi of continuous boost.

Alright so im reviving my old thread, I drove the car on and off during the summer while I fixed/upgaded "maybe downgraded" parts. I found out that my car has the 91 throttle body and an oil cooler where the 90s did not have one. So about a month ago I replaced the rear calipers that were locked and got back on the road, about 20 miles into driving my car starting making a knocking/ticking sound over 2k rpms. Well i drove it around lightly so my friend could hear and when I got back into my garage it was dumping oil all over the place from the timing belt side of the engine. I decided that rather than try patching parts and pieces and fixing stuff previous owner had done wrong ill fix it right. So the tear down began. I currently have the engine out of my car, ill post pics once i figure out how. My wife wants to try Auto X racing and road racing so im trying to decide what to rebuild the engine as. Would a stroker motor be better or just keep a 2.0 seeing as I would like to be able to DD and not kill my mpg being in boost all the time.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back