The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G my car looks like a truck help!!!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selmerguy

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 14, 2004
Killeen, Texas
I bought these coilovers:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Coil...037784393QQcategoryZ33586QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The box they came say they are for a 2gGS. I installed them and at the lowest setting they are higher then stock. WTF I have installed suspension on many cars before. Has anyone else had the problem I am having? Then ride is bad too. They are way to stiff and i bounce allover the place. If it helps I will post pics tomorrow.

Here are the pics. Don't joke on the 14's its winter.

Attachments

• Picture 137 (Small).jpg
    Picture 137 (Small).jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 808
  • Picture 136 (Small).jpg
    Picture 136 (Small).jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 811
  • Picture 134 (Small).jpg
    Picture 134 (Small).jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 812
Don't worry, sell them as fast as possible. You can't even buy a good set of springs for less than $200, much less a set of adjustable coilovers. If there's anywhere you shouldn't cheap out, its on your suspension. It is, afterall, the only thing helping to keep your car on the road.

Edit: what in the hell is that boxy thing stickign out the back of your car?

LOL I think thats a Volvo exhaust tip.

Glad I rolled across this thread. I can now take those coilovers off of my watched items list.

mavisky said:
Don't worry, sell them as fast as possible. You can't even buy a good set of springs for less than $200, much less a set of adjustable coilovers. If there's anywhere you shouldn't cheap out, its on your suspension. It is, afterall, the only thing helping to keep your car on the road.

Edit: what in the hell is that boxy thing stickign out the back of your car?
That was the exhaust that was on the car when i bought it. I have a cut out anyway. I will weld a different muffler on later.

The thing with the coilovers is that they look so nice. The double spring thing is kinda cool too. I got a reply from them and they wanted to see pics. I will just have to wait and see what they say.

Looking nice and staying together don't come ina package without spending some money.

Now they may last forever, but if they didn't even take the time to see how these fit on the car then I'd guess that they don't have any idea how long they'll last either. What are the spring rates on them even since they're obviously not specific to only the dsm's? Do you even understand the use of 2 springs and what good does it do you if the smaller spring stays constantly compressed acting in a state of infinite spring rate?

From what i understand the "helper spring" helps with a soofter ride and better high speed cornering. The rates i cant remember for sure but it is like 006kg in the back and 008kg in the front. Which sounds pretty standard to me. I hope they just sent me the wrong springs or maybe i did something wrong. It is a pretty simple process to me though.

I read an article in CSCS racing magazine called "Don't spend $15 on a $3 product." It was basically a warning for car owners not to buy cheap parts off e-bay to save money cause you'll just be spending more later on to install or fabricate the parts. The specific product they did a reference to was coilovers off e-bay. That sucks for you though. Take them off.

Can I first see a picture at it's highest setting though?

some coilovers require you to remove or cut the spring perch off. if so, the sleeve should have a lip on the inside where it rests on what's left of the spring perch.

TimG said:
I read an article in CSCS racing magazine called "Don't spend $15 on a $3 product." It was basically a warning for car owners not to buy cheap parts off e-bay to save money cause you'll just be spending more later on to install or fabricate the parts. The specific product they did a reference to was coilovers off e-bay. That sucks for you though. Take them off.

Can I first see a picture at it's highest setting though?
Dood i would need a spring compressor to raise these things! I wish i had a link to that 2g that was lifter like 12 inches. I would post that. I know these were sold on ebay but they are from a company that makes alot of coilovers. Heck you can buy tein coilovers on ebay. Well i will just have to wait and see what cosmo racing tells me.

selmerguy said:
Dood i would need a spring compressor to raise these things! I wish i had a link to that 2g that was lifter like 12 inches. I would post that. I know these were sold on ebay but they are from a company that makes alot of coilovers. Heck you can buy tein coilovers on ebay. Well i will just have to wait and see what cosmo racing tells me.

For the money, JIC or Hotbits will beat the hell out of Tein. We're not saying that there aren't good deals to be had on e-bay, but consider that you payed $200 less than the cheapest of dsm coilovers available (ground controls). If Ground Control's cost $350, figure that at least $250 worth of product is in there, what's that say about your $145 product, maybe $90 worth of product in there. :confused:

wholy crap i just figured out what the problem is!!!!!!!!!!!!(other then the fact that these are ebay coilovers.) i have to cut out the spring seat on my gr2's. I just reread the instructions and it says in some applications the spring seats have to be cut out. yeah dremal time.

selmerguy said:
From what i understand the "helper spring" helps with a soofter ride and better high speed cornering. The rates i cant remember for sure but it is like 006kg in the back and 008kg in the front. Which sounds pretty standard to me. I hope they just sent me the wrong springs or maybe i did something wrong. It is a pretty simple process to me though.

Actually, helper springs do not contibute to ride quality or spring rate. They collapse fully when the vehicle weight is resting on them. They take up slack under full droop so that the main spring does not rattle around.

I got it!!!!!! For these coilovers you have to take off the spring seat. I have gr2's so all i have to do is use a BFH and some love. I have 3 done and it looks great i will update on the ride after my test drive tonight.

I like to stick with name brand items. And I love shopping for the best deals "on ebay" I recently picked up the Tein S. Tech Springs and KYB AGX shocks for a mere $500 shipped You should have shopped around a little better in my opinion for the money spent or a wee bit more you could have a decent setup.

selmerguy said:
wholy crap i just figured out what the problem is!!!!!!!!!!!!(other then the fact that these are ebay coilovers.) i have to cut out the spring seat on my gr2's. I just reread the instructions and it says in some applications the spring seats have to be cut out. yeah dremal time.
That's what RamenPride stated earlier btw.
RamenPride said:
some coilovers require you to remove or cut the spring perch off. if so, the sleeve should have a lip on the inside where it rests on what's left of the spring perch.

Also, it may be kind of late now, but, you can put silicone inbetween the sleeve and shock to keep it from making the clanking noises normally associated with these types of coilovers. Actually, you don't necessarily need silicone, just anything the will keep the sleeve from hitting the shock body.
Hint, if you look from the bottom of the shock up to the sleeve, you will see an open space.

Well I took my daughter for a ride after I got everything done. It rode great. So much better then what i had. I don't know if they will last long but they feel good for now. I did a couple hard launches and no problems. Hit some bumps too. No problkems there. I like them.

Post some pics of how it looks now.....would you say they are worth the money now?

TORONTOTALON said:
Post some pics of how it looks now.....would you say they are worth the money now?
i will post pics when i get off work. And i would def. say they are worth it. Maybe the best inexpensive coilovers i have rode on.

Here are some pics. And to the mod that wrote me a warning for no caps in the previous post. IT WAS 0700 AM!!!!!!!!:notgood:

Attachments

• Picture 147 (Small).jpg
    Picture 147 (Small).jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 640
selmerguy said:
Here are some pics. And to the mod that wrote me a warning for no caps in the previous post. IT WAS 0700 AM!!!!!!!!:notgood:

Ride height deff looks better now. Keep us posted on possible problems with them. Broken springs or caps and what not.

selmerguy said:

I didn't give you the warning but I don't care what time it is. If you can't post properly then don't post until you can.

7:00am is not that early. :rolleyes:

no disrespect intended, but....BAHhahahHaHa hahaha....that thing looks hilarious all jacked up..LOL

alright sorry
i'm done

dzolcali said:
no disrespect intended, but....BAHhahahHaHa hahaha....that thing looks hilarious all jacked up..LOL

alright sorry
i'm done
It's all good. If you think it looked funny try rideing in it that way. It sucked. It rides much better now.:rocks:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back