The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

More turbo lag?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbgriffin

Proven Member
Jun 14, 2017
Lewiston, Idaho
So a few months back I purchased a cheap eBay upper intercooler pipe, and a 2g throttle body elbow which I ported out. It has a 2.25 od, and is for the stock smic. So after installing it, and boost leak testing/fixing. I was really surprised how much more lag I was getting, probably 300rpm. At the time I still had my stock 14b, and I'm all about that instant spool. So I wasn't at all happy with the extra lag. I ended up putting my stock piping back on. So I know it's basic physics why this would happen with more volume to fill. And I've done lots of searching on this subject. I know it's a given when going to a big fmic. But I never expected this result with just a bit bigger pipe. So my question, is this to be expected? Or does it point to an issue elsewhere? PS, It did improve my top end very slightly.

I've run hard intercooler piping on all my 1gs and never noticed a difference in turbo lag, I'm wondering if it's you. I always ran the PR UICP kit though.

Maybe, I'm a little OCD. But I'm not the only one that noticed. I was just wondering if there could be another explanation for this. I've since installed a big 16g turbo, and was thinking of trying the hard pipe again. Maybe it won't be as noticeable with the 16g? Anybody have any ideas or suggestions, please jump in?

dont use 3" intercooler piping. especially on a 14b. and as you like quick spool you should have done a small 16g not a big 16g. nearly the same power but tons more spool on the small.

i managed to only add a VERY small amount of lag on a small 16g and a front mount by very meticulously piping the install. the drivers side pointing J pipe is 2" id goes to a very mild tapered adapter to 2.5".

also depending on the O2 housing and rather you have an aftermarket exhaust and what flanges. there may be a fair sized lip in the exhaust. ANY obstruction in the exhaust will hamper spool.

No way to log yet, I'll have link installed soon. Have to send off my ECU to get socketed. And the 16g is just temporary. I've rebuilt my 14b, and did lots of port work on exhaust side. I need to have it sent off for a balance job now. Then I'll be putting it back on. The 14b had almost no shaft play, but one of its piston rings wasn't sealing. So it's very possible that was the issue, & was only amplified with the bigger pipe. I guess there's only one way to see.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back