The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Missing Rod Bearing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91talonawdtsi

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 1, 2005
kansas city, Missouri
Ok so this isn't really a newbie question. I left my house the other day and noticed i was about a quart low on oil, and put some in. When i got to my friends house i realized that my oil feed line was leaking so i cut and flared it. Next thing i know the motor is ticking like it's a lifter, then all hell broke loose and it got a real bad knock like a wrench had been thrown into it. I checked the oil and it was perfect. Today i dropped the pan and pulled the mains on the crank and the caps off the rods well guess what it was missing the bearing in the cap on number 2 and the bearing in the rod on number 4. now my question is where are they! and if i flush the motor , turn the crank, and replace the bearings will every thing be kosher or do i need a new engine.WTF

Well, eventually, yes, you're probably f-ed and you'll need to have the engine rebuilt. Having said that, you can probably run it if you get new bearings in it. Your crank is probably sh1t, and chewed up, so any bearings you put in will get chewed up fast too. So, you CAN continue to run it and replace bearings, but you NEED to rebuild it (new crank or LOTS of turning probably involved.

As for where they went... I don't know, you got any magician friends, cause that sh1t is crazy.

Thought i would come through and resolve all my posts. Found the bearings when i rebuilt the motor i didnt clean the block or oil valleys and water valleys. The engine ran for about ten minutes before sucking up a peice of metal and locking it up. had to get a new block.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back