The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Melting Wastegate Lines??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Girvin

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 28, 2003
Williams Lake, B.C._Canada
Lately I've been having some problems with the vacuum/boost lines to my Tial 44mm. The lines dry out from the heat of the wastegate and eventually crack causing obvious boost leaks.

Just looking for some ideas from other external wastegate users out there that might help permanently fix the problem????

Use high quality silicone vacuum lines. Heat will have no effect on them.
The walls of silicone line should be twice as thick as the i.d., so it will not collapse under vacuum. The stuff they sell at autozone is junk.

Paul, every time I see your vacuum setup I smile. On the compressor side is it an 1/8 NPT to -4AN fitting, then -4AN banjo's on the wastegates?

Paul, every time I see your vacuum setup I smile. On the compressor side is it an 1/8 NPT to -4AN fitting, then -4AN banjo's on the wastegates?
:) Yup, those are the size fitting and hose that I use. The banjo fitting and hoses are all made by Allstar Performance. I'm using the supplied Tial banjo bolts. And the 90* fitting on the compressor cover is by Aeroquip, but all fitting manufacturers have those (XRP, Earls, Russell, A1, etc).

I always have found Aeropquip to be better than Earl's, just my experience. I may have to copy you on that setup, minus the blingy manifold and extra wastegate.

A high quality silicone vacuum hose, will defently make a difference (as posted above, don't pick up the crap line they sell at your local auto parts store). Now to protect the the line further, a product I use that works great is the "heat sheath" from companies such as DEI, as seen below:

Design Engineering, Inc. - Heat Sheath - Hose/Line Sleeve

It's very lightweight, very flexable & supposed to prevent 90% of the radient heat. There are a couple other companies that make the same thing & they are all around the same price (believe the other brand I have is Heatshield Products).

I've had the same vacuum line on both my Tial44 ports (EBC) for the past 2 summers & they are still just as new looking/flexible as the day I installed them. I also use it on my coolent lines & oil feed & even being right beside the CHRA, it still doesn't show any signs of wear (the outer coating on the previous "fire sleeve" I used in this area did dry out & crack in this area).

And sorry to bother you 99 gst/you answer my ?'s before, but I have Hallman MBC/in cockpit/, where do i get fitting IN and OUT of the Boost controller ???
You can get them from Summit Racing. You'll need to know which one you want, though.

Where can I get vacuum lines like that is what I meant.
Like I said in my post above, I got my lines from Allstar Performance. (page 5 of the Brake Systems & Accessories subsection)

-4 should work well for anyone - just measure to determine which lengths you need.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back