The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

MachV heads

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8s_are_slow

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2002
Panama City, Florida
I'm not seeing anyone discussing these at all and I'm sure that there's plenty of builders out there that might be preferred. But heck, it's an option and I don't know who builds them. If it's them or if they get someone else to do it (i'm guessing someone else). Heads are decently priced though. Anyone know any info on them? There's no pictures of them though so that's the main thing I don't care for right off the bat. I'd personally wanna know what I'm getting. At least an idea. But looking at the highest level head they sell ("race only" stage 6 with 1mm oversized valves), it sells for $1799 with no core due. Any opinions?

Does no one have an opinion? Surely someone on the board has maybe bought one?

Okay how would I look at the flow numbers? Trying to make sure I'm looking at this correctly.

Just doing a quick comparison. MachV stage 5 head to FFWD stage 3.5 head.
MachV stage 5= flow rate of 283 cfm (guessing that's all cylinders added up?) for $1599.
FFWD stage 3.5= flow rate of 55 cfm (guessing that's just one cylinder? added up it'd be 220 cfm's? but then again it says on there that it's "10-12 CFM more through each port" so how do i look at this?) for $1350.

I'm just thinking that if I'm looking at that correctly and those flow numbers are 283 and 220 cfm's, then the MachV head would flow more for that level on stock sized valves compared to the FFWD 1mm oversized and that doesn't seem right :confused: Cause then the MachV stage 6 head finally goes up to 1mm oversized valves and more porting (for $1799) while the FFWD goes up to the stage 4 and just upgrades to better springs and valve guides but says nothing about extra porting (for $1975). And if that's correct then MachV would be the better deal. Cheaper and flows more. Of course I know nothing about the quality of the MachV head either. Anyone wanna chime in on at least the flow numbers I'm looking at?

What about the Buschur stage 3 head for $1600?

good point (now you're making me do some more research...gee thanks. haha!). but as far as that goes, there's even less information on their website about that head. doesn't state what size valves it uses, no flow numbers, no pictures either as well. i mean i know it's buschur so i'm sure it's still good, but would want more info.

even if i don't get a machv head though, i'd think it'd be good discussion for anyone considering buying one from them. then when they search, well, here's the thread.

thanks for the heads up. guess if i wanted one of those, i'd just buy it straight from the source.

I have a Buschur stage 3 head and it is a nice piece. 1mm over valve, crower springs and retainers, bronze valve guids, nice port work, and it is o-ringed which is a big plus.

how is the port work on it? i've heard people on here say that their porting leaves something to be desired but i dunno cause i've never seen any of their work (if only people would post pics). i mean i know ya said nice, but is it smooth? or just nice as in they did it more for function than looks? or did they seem to go all out?

edit: i know that when i get a head (from whoever i decide to go with), i'm gonna try and take lots of pics so people have a better idea of what they're buying. not enough people do this.

yes please, if you could. it's the main thing right now keeping me from wanting to buy a buschur head actually...not knowing anything about what the work looks like. i like the fact though that the head is o-ringed. might make things a bit easier on me. are you replacing the springs that came with it with the fp springs? or are they already double springed? wondering if they'd take some of the cost off if i supplied the springs for the build to offset the cost for springs i wouldn't need anyway (if indeed it's not already up to par as far as the springs go).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back