The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Low Compression & Knock

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdabishop

Proven Member
Nov 9, 2012
mesa, Arizona
Ok so I initially had low compression on number #3 it was coming out to 70 where as the rest were sky high and perfect. Well then it had a knock later on down the road so I along with others assumed the knock was a spun rod bearing.

Well I just tore down the engine and all the bearing looks great nothing that I see that would cause it. So my question is what else could it be causing the low compression and the knock? I cant think of anything else besides possibly the timing skipped but would that cause an engine to knock?

Thanks,
Justin

Yes if your valves were hitting the pistons it would sound like a diesel motor. Definately sounds like a timing issue

A bent valve would also explain low compression in that one cylinder. If timing skipped, I would expect damage to all valves/cylinders.

You know the cylinder with the issue, #3 Low compression could be from a valve that is not seating properly.

Mic the piston and bore, you may have clasped a piston skirt, or have a wrist pin issue, both of them can cause a knock

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back