The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Loud Noise at Idle, Goes Away At Higher RPM

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93Lzr

10+ Year Contributor
May 26, 2012
Grand Forks, North_Dakota
I just got my car all put together after my clutch, second time in a week. Only this time the car is making an extremely loud, almost obnoxious noise at idle. It's not knocking at all, no valves sound like they are hitting either, however I can hear lifter tick but it has always ticked. The noise goes away if I rev it to 3000 or so RPMS. I'm lost. Any ideas?

I just got my car all put together after my clutch, second time in a week. Only this time the car is making an extremely loud, almost obnoxious noise at idle. It's not knocking at all, no valves sound like they are hitting either, however I can hear lifter tick but it has always ticked. The noise goes away if I rev it to 3000 or so RPMS. I'm lost. Any ideas?

What does this noise sound like anyways? Where is it coming from? Need to be more exact for us to help you out buddy. Possible you can post a video?

It was my balance shaft. belt completely snapped and jumped timing. In the process of replacing all belts and timing components along with the water pump.

It was my balance shaft. belt completely snapped and jumped timing. In the process of replacing all belts and timing components along with the water pump.

Ah okay, any damage to the engine because of the jumped timing?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back