The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

loss in compression

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcjjones

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2011
Austin, Texas
Does a loss in compression always result in a loss of vacuum?

I did a compression test and got some pretty nasty numbers. Car seems to run and idle great though. Also at idle, aroind 950, I am pullsing a vacuum between 16-20 in.

Numbers on two cylinders were 120 and the others were 90

Possible messed up the compression test I guess, but my real question is will it always loos vacuum with compression loss?

When you performed the compression test. Was the motor still cold or after a good drive? All spark plugs out and full throttle while cranking?

Cold vs hot makes some difference but not much at all. Try a wet test followed by a leak down to get the real story. Yes, to answer, very low compressions would show less vacuum at idle. Again, not a huge difference but you'll see a bit less vac

Yea wet compression and leakdown are on the to do list when I have time. After those numbers I didn't tgink the car would even be driveable. Like I said though it runs and drives fine. That low of compression should yield some kind of driveability issues right?

Is it possible to fry the comoression rings and not the oil rings? I haven't burned any oil and it doesn't smoke at any throttle position

Check your timing belt, if off a tooth, it can cause low compression and low vac.

If your vac gauge ( or boost gauge w/ vac reading) needle is jumpy/vibrates at idle then you can have a intake valve that is not seating.

Ill check mechanical timing again. My cylinder head is a brand new rebuilt, but the needle is a little jumpy at times. But it is mostly steady. I believe I just have a slight intermediate misfire at idle which is what I think causes the needke to be a little jumpy? Like I said it doesn't always jump a little, only when it fefeels like it has a slight misfire

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back