The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Looking for a STRONG Internal Wastegate Actuator?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The actuator head is much smaller, like a Garrett. The throw of the Holset actuator is much longer than the Mitsu actuator, opening the flapper almost a full inch versus 3/8" or so with the Mitsu actuator...although the flapper opening isn't really what I'm worried about. I'm more interested in keeping the flapper closed. At 30psi, the flapper opening 1/4" or so should control boost just fine.

I'll try to snap some more pics as requested....although I'm not sure I'll be in the shop tonight. It may be a day or so, but I'll get them posted. ;)

This sounds like it would be perfect for what I need.

I may end up swapping my modded MHI actuator for a modded Holset actuator due to it being physically smaller.

Thanks for any pics you can snap for me Justin.

No rush. When you get to it. I appreciate it.

Thanks.

Looks good.

I think I'm going to copy you:)

Too cold out in the garage for me right now though. I'll get around to it.

More pics............... side-by-side comparisons...............Damn it !!!

Just a reminder Justin.................................. ROFL

How does that Holset actuator compare in size to a Mitsu one? Physically it looks like it may be a hair smaller.

If your able to get a chance, could you snap a pic or 2 with the actautors next to each other.

More pics............... side-by-side comparisons...............Damn it !!!

Will this get you to stop busting my balls? :D

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Keep in mind I wanted the wastegate nipple to face downward and away from the intake piping, as my boost source is in the lower intercooler pipe. With the Holset actuator, you can literally drill the bracket any way you'd like, allowing the wastegate nipple 360* rotational flexibility depending on your setup.

Will this get you to stop busting my balls? :D

PERFECT !!! Thanks Justin.

I'll be taking a few measurements to double check some things, but I think I might be picking up one of the Holset actuators.

I believe this will solve my clearance issue with my modded Mitsu. actuator on my 20g.

Thanks again Justin. :thumb: Your the man!

Keep your eyes peeled for actuators if you want this done.

There was a Holset actuator on eBay that ended in the $36 range the other week....I had been bidding on it, but I missed placing a last-minute bid because I wasn't home.

eBay Motors: Dodge Ram Holset Performance Wastegate cummins HX35 (item 270329698064 end time Jan-19-09 18:20:35 PST)

There are a couple on there right now but they don't have the brackets. If I can get you one, could you modify it for me? PM me a price. If I don't have to go external, I don't want to. This would be awesome.

I actually don't want Holset brackets....I'll be using the MHI bases.

I still have a couple scrap MHI actuators- as long as I don't have to destroy good MHI actuators to build these there shouldn't be any cost aside from an hour or so of shop labor.

This actuator looks a little short, but it would still work if I left enough of the MHI arm attached and just moved the adjuster closer to the actuator head:

eBay Motors: Holset HY35 wastegate actuator (item 200302839310 end time Feb-01-09 08:05:00 PST)

This actuator is similar to the one I used, but it looks like some peckerhead already welded the adjuster to the arm. That would ruin the adjustability I was striving for during the build of my prototype:

eBay Motors: dodge cummins holset HX35 wastegate actuator (item 320335404712 end time Feb-01-09 15:39:12 PST)

I might look into this as well, just like Fil I dont feel like spending the money on an external setup. PM me a price as well Justin if I get you the actuator.

Haha you guys are nuts.

As I mentioned above, pricing would be whatever the cost of the Holset actuator is plus about an hour of shop labor to build...until I run out of junk MHI actuators. When I have to start buying used MHI actuators to destroy, you're then looking at the cost of the Holset actuator, the cost of the MHI actuator, plus an hour of shop labor. If the customer sends a Holset actuator and a junk MHI actuator of their own, only labor and return shipping will apply.

Another thing I'm not quite sure of is if Holset offers these actuators with different spring pressures. Do they all have 20psi springs in them?

I don't see this actuator having any trouble holding a 34mm flapper shut at 25+psi. If it struggles, I'll be shocked. The prototype I built is damn near impossible to pull out on it's own unless you have the base clamped in a bench vise....it's spring pressure is 3 times stronger than an MHI actuator which can be pulled with your pointer finger and thumb.

The car I'm using the prototype on won't see the road until spring as I'm still accumulating parts and finding time to work on the car still proves difficult as well. If I build one of these for a customer and it sees the road before mine does, you MUST post your results here in this thread!

I'm game. I will email the seller on ebay to see if he will sell the actuator outright to me. My car is a daily driver and I could get you results as soon as I have the part in my hands.

This is something I found just now while browsing for new seals for my BOV. It might help as they said they can provide a bigger spring upon request.
Forge Motorsport | Alloy Fabrication
Forge designs and builds some great products, but something about an internal wastegate actuator that costs as much as a new Tial external gate is a turnoff.

My objective with this project was to provide an economical alternative to the Forge-designed unit. Most DSMer's have a used or junk MHI actuator laying around, and used Holset actuators seem to be selling in the $40 or less range on eBay....so this is a great mod for someone looking to get more boost for less $.

Forge designs and builds some great products, but something about an internal wastegate actuator that costs as much as a new Tial external gate is a turnoff.

My objective with this project was to provide an economical alternative to the Forge-designed unit. Most DSMer's have a used or junk MHI actuator laying around, and used Holset actuators seem to be selling in the $40 or less range on eBay....so this is a great mod for someone looking to get more boost for less $.

Exactly. I looked into the Forge internalls as well. I'm not positive, but I think there is a thread around here that didn't give it such great reviews. And the price is way to much. Like Justin said this is way more cost effective. Let's just hope the results prove worth while.

I could of used this last season while i was maxing the 16g out.
Great idea.

UPDATE: So I got my wastegate from Justin. No matter how hard you pulled on the arm you could not get it to budge. The Mitsu wastegate moved easily with hardly any force applied. So I slapped the Holset wastegate on my car a few days ago and I had to turn the boost controller way down. I set it at about 24psi and the damn thing held rock solid. I didn't try to go over that amount of boost but I am sure you could easily.

I'm really glad yours has worked out.

Your Holset actuator was exactly the same strength as the prototype I built for my 18G using a HX40 actuator. Tuners member FonZ454 sent me one to build, but his was of considerably less spring strength...still stronger than an MHI actuator, but not as strong as the original prototype I built. His results weren't as good as yours :sosad: but it did have about three times the actuator throw of the standard MHI unit, making it a GREAT actuator choice for someone having boost creep issues!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back