1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G Looking for a different exhaust manifold...

Posted by RipperXX, Dec 18, 2018

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. Crackerman

Crackerman Proven Member

Joined Feb 28, 2018
    Alvord, Texas
    If I remember correctly, you don't lose any power if the exhaust is sized appropriately (3" or larger) and the wastegate gate re-enters the exhaust more than 18" past the turbine housing.

2. donniekak

donniekak DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 23, 2008
    Surprise, Arizona
    Going from a full catless 3” exhaust to a hood exit usually makes nice gains even on 500whp cars.

Street Build 3K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  3. Crackerman

Crackerman Proven Member

Joined Feb 28, 2018
    Alvord, Texas
    Apples

Oranges

4. donniekak

donniekak DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 23, 2008
    Surprise, Arizona
    How so? It proves that even a straight 3”
    Full exhaust is a restriction. Why try to shove any more exhaust than necessary through it?

Street Build 3K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  5. Crackerman

Crackerman Proven Member

Joined Feb 28, 2018
    Alvord, Texas
    I do agree that shortest exhaust is best for power. Anything approaching 450hp, could benefit from a larger than 3" exhaust. My post was in reference to the earlier 2 posts, discussing full exhaust setups and recirculating wastegate back into the exhaust.

So a full race type hood stack vs a full exhaust "street legal" is an apples to oranges comparison.

6. donniekak

donniekak DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 23, 2008
    Surprise, Arizona
    No, it’s proof that even a 3” is a restriction that will show gains from lowering the exhaust volume flow with an external dump.

Street Build 3K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  7. donniekak

donniekak DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 23, 2008
    Surprise, Arizona
    I build a lot of cars. I either stick to the simplicity of an internal gate setup, as long as it won’t prevent goals being met, or go to a non stock footprint turbo and dumped wastegate.

I don’t really understand the aversion to an external setup. You only hear it when you don’t really care if the car is loud, wot.

Street Build 3K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
    tametalon92 likes this.
  8. jakk220

jakk220 Proven Member

Joined Nov 13, 2010
    Akron, Ohio

Personally, I hate having an open 02 dump and I currently have mine recirculated with the wastegate off the 02 housing. Even at WOT to me its annoying. I like being able to hear the engine for any potential issues and I enjoy hearing the turbo spool and what not. I also don't have a race car. I plan on trying to fab something this year so I can have the wastegate off of the manifold and still recirculate it. I may set it up to where I can have it either recirculated or open dump by just switching out the pipe.

266  1

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

1K  3

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 1K  1

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  9. RipperXX

RipperXX Proven Member

Joined Feb 23, 2003