The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Left 'Ground Timing Connector to ECU' On by accident...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greekgodchaos

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 4, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
So I left 'Ground Timing Connector to ECU' On by accident...and drove about 18miles all highway, but I enjoyed the amount of "spitfire" I was getting...only to discover when I got home that my turbine housing was glowing red and was great for roasting marshmallows ;) So I left it idling for a bit with the connector un-grounded and my radiator fan on to help cool it down a bit. Very stupid mistake on my part, I drove it home like a grandma just because I wanted to log some light cruising so no heavy acceleration, but I definitely felt like something was wayy off. I did not overheat, my turbo just got glowing red, and all the while my wideband never went leaner than 14.9 (aside from decel of course) and everything seems to be okay, whats the worst that could happen from doing something like this? Obviously its not something anyone should ever do, but since I seem to be the only person who will post and openly admit they did it, I believe I deserve a good answer :thumb:

I think that something like this is all the more reason to implement a CUSTOM SHORTCUT/KEYSTROKE function so I could just press like F9 to ground/un-ground the connector. Just a thought.

the heat being tossed out the exhaust while just gettign into it's burn phase from the retarded timing is why the turbo was red, worst case you may have cooked exhaust valves, maybe cooked turbo or coked the hell out of some oil in it, as well as probably fried any rubber o-rings for the compressor cover. Overall probably didn't do much real damage those are just the "possible" things i can thinkof at this hour. I would put it back to normal and drive it like noirmal and just see if things feel as they usually do.

Oh, change your oil ASAP! you probably put 3k miles worth of heating and bearing on it in that 18 mile trip of 5* timing at all times LOL

Well so far everything seems fine, yesterday morning I went out checked my fluids; oil level was good, no bubbles in my coolant so that's good. I am still running conventional 10w-30 for my break-in, and I checked the oil on the dipstick and it did look a bit dark for having done an oil change on it no more than 4 days ago :rolleyes: Ill be sticking with conventional until 3000mi, but I'll definately change it before I go up to Tacoma this weekend along with a BLT, compression test, checking my turbo for shaft play, and trying to make my interior plastics not rattle :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back