The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Leather all cracked up? Easy/cheap fix! (Pics/Writeup)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaNGiNa24

Supporting Vendor
Oct 3, 2002
Marlborough, Massachusetts
I just saw this on the bimmer forums so I'll just quote strait from there, I haven't done this personally but I think a lot of the members here could benefit from it. This was all done by a product called "Leathemagic".

It came out great. Let me begin by saying the kit was purchased through Leathermagic and comes with the Dye, Cleaning Prep solution, Latex Golves, Conditioner, small 220 grit sandpaper, areosole type can if you want to spray the dye on but it is very small, wedge type applicator as well as very nicely detailed instructions. Not bad for a little over $40. My seats are Dove Grey so for those with Dove Grey seats, I found their Light Silver Nappa matches a whole lot better then the Dove Gray color they also sell. Their Dove Gray is way to dark.

So let's move on first to the writeup and then follow with some before and after pics. Now let me state that I did not remove the seats, only tilted the back part as far as it would go down.

I highly recommend doing this in a lint free environment in your own garage where your not obstructiing another car or if you live in apartment, do it in your designated spot as the last thing you need is to do it somewhere else and then realize you can't sit in your seat for the next few days while the dye is curing.

Things you will need:
Large garbage bags or newspaper to cover surrounding areas
Additional sheets of both 220 and 1000 grit sandpaper
Woolite for cleaning seats (6 parts Water, 1 part Woolite)
Mr. Clean Magic erasers also for cleaning, it works wonders
Soft or Medium soft toothbrush for hard to reach areas when you clean
Towels for any slippage of material etc..
Spray bottle of clean warm water
Spray Bottle of mild soap with water
Some type of dye applicator, I used those wedge type ones with the handle
Terry Cloth Applicator pad/sponge

Now onto the steps: - I waited till it was a sunny warm day, 90 degrees with o humidity
1. Vacuum, Vacuum, Vacuum. especially in the crevices, use a small firm painting brush in crevices if needed to remove all dirt particles.
2. Clean areas where you are dying the leather with Woolite first the follow up with Mr. Clean magic Eraser and the spray bottle with water and soap mixture. If you want to use some other cleaners, by all means..
3. Wait an hour for leather to dry out.
4. Wearing the latex gloves, apply the Leather prep with the applicator spong on seat, you will notice some of the color fading away, that's a good thing.
5. Wait an hour to dry
6. Start sanding with the 220 grit sandpaper but VERY lightly and make sure to be careful around the seams.
7. Wipe down seat to remove sandpaper residue with a damp cloth. Use the clean water, NOT the one with soap.
8. Wait an hour
9. Time for applying the dye, brush in light coats to avoide streaking and wait at least a half hour to dry, depending on how how it is outside of course. Keep add a few more light coats until you are satisified, waiting for each coat to dry.
10. Wait a few days and then apply some conditioner like Lexol or Leatherique. The kit also comes with condditioner which has a leathery smell but is very small.

In some areas I applied a bit too much dye and they seams are somewhat covered up but hey, it was my first try.

Anyways, I am sure I be missing something here but if it comes to me, i'll edit the post.

Final Result:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here is the original thread:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390458&highlight=alcantara

I wish i knew about this before I spent $150 on a used leather interior.

Quasimondo said:
I wish i knew about this before I spent $150 on a used leather interior.

Yeah, for that price I woulda just put it in the piggy bank for new seats!

I'm tempted to try it on the Talon for shits and giggles but I'll be buying a set of leather recaro style seats with suede/alcantara inserts so I'm kinda hesitant.

Holy COW! ! ! That was like a magic trick!! I'm getting that stuff for sure, thanks for posting! :thumb:

Just out of curiosity, why'd you take out the before and after pic defiant? Want me to make it smaller?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back