The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Cheap & easy dynamat substitute

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

4geze63

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 18, 2003
edmonton, Alberta_Canada
If you goto the furnace and ducting erea of your local hardware store you should find a material very similar to dynamat at a 1/10 of the cost.

Most of you prolly know what im talking about but for those who dont it looks like tin foild with a sticky moldable layer underneith approx 1/4" thick. it comes in a roll abit bigger then a toiltepaper roll.

Heatshilding is what it is. For my 1g it worked great, especially on the dash speakers, if you remove your dash speakers you will notice that it isnt sealed under the speaker, basically open to the whole underneight of the dash, same with the rears, I hevent seen how the door speakers look.

So what I did was take the heatshielding and mold it to fit into the speaker well, I lined the inside where the speaker sits and closed it off thus making a little sealed enclouser for my speaker.

I will easily have enough to sound deaden all six speakers for only $12, sofar all Rattles and vibrations are completly gone with better sound imaging:thumb:

If you use anything like dynamat does it improve sound? What I mean is I get poor sound from my door speakers, if I use it will my speakers be louder?

well what dynamat and similar materials do is block the sound from obsorbing into the body of the car, and instead provide a layer for the sound to bouce off and continue in the intended direction.

Not to mention it is a great insulaotor, keeps your car warmer inside in the cold, if you have enough of it that is, it also deadens outside noice from coming in just like the inside speaker noise from going out.

if done properly you shoud notice a higher clarity in your speakers with better overall sound

is it heavy? i know dynamat can easily add up to alot of weight.

thank you.

"great stuff" is a nightmare to work with, so good luck with that.

thank you.

afull sounddeadend car would gain 25 pounds max, same as removing spare tire

Anyone know the name of the dynamat lookalike? I was down at home depot today looking for it but no go, found the sprayfoam but nothing like dynamat. Closest thing was that pink building material and gutter repair rolls. Thanks for the help

It comes in two different sizes ive seen, 2" by 15' or 5" by 15'. YOu will find it in the plumbin section under pipe insulation. Normally you wrap it around pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back