The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Leak from flywheel inspection plate? please help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ96gst

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 25, 2008
keaau, Hawaii
Ok so this is the only place it would let me post, sorry if its in the wrong spot. So here goes, Im driving to work today, I push it a little and there is a smoke commin out the back, I pull over and gear oil is POURING out right at the flywheel inspection plate? I was right down the street from work so I drive the rest of the way, pull off the inspection plate and its full of fluid? Also the other day the clutch slipped but just that once, dident do it again? Please help, any ideas? Thanks guys. (I have a feeling Im not gonna like the answer:ohdamn:)

That happened to me, but a tooth off one of my spider gears on my front differential came off and shot through the bell housing. Actually i did that twice now, the 2nd time i pretty mush shattered the diff and found 7 or 8 teeth LOL. so its either that or the seal in the input shaft on the trans.

Also if it is the shaft seal on the trans you pretty much have the tear the trans completely apart to change that seal.

That happened to me, but a tooth off one of my spider gears on my front differential came off and shot through the bell housing. Actually i did that twice now, the 2nd time i pretty mush shattered the diff and found 7 or 8 teeth LOL. so its either that or the seal in the input shaft on the trans.

Also if it is the shaft seal on the trans you pretty much have the tear the trans completely apart to change that seal.

It sucks replacing that seal.

Ya, drop the tranny, pull the clutch assembly off the flywheel, remove the flywheel to get to that rear main.

If the PCV system isn't doing it's thing too well, this is what usually blows the mains out due to with too much internal blowby pressure (does the dipstick love to be blown out as well..?) - why one has to be careful when doing mods with the PCV systems..

But, if not, just make sure that the PCV system is functioning normally ..... good luck - DSM

Thanks for the quick response guys, really appreciate it, even if it is bad news. Hey Dsm1g90 I just moved from Nampa, lived there for 17 years, small world. And yes it is not oil, its deffentely gear oil, if it was a spider gear, would it still drive fine? I would imagine it would make noise? It drove fine after I noticed the oil, I drove it a couple of miles tops to work ### I was all most there. Would that lead you to think it was the seal? Either way looks like the tranny is coming out.

Congrats on the move to fun weather .... still "iffy" over here ....LOL

If gear oil, then it's a tranny job for you .... but, while you got it out, it wouldn't hurt to do a rear main while you got the worst out of the way - just for satisfaction's sake.

Good luck - DSM

whats involved in doing a rear main?

Plus now obvisouly the clutch has seen a bunch of transmission fluid, will I be able to clean it up and re-use it? Or will the disc be screwed?

Look at this link for some fotos on a basic rear main seal replacement..(obviously, not a DSM vehicle, but you get the idea..)

REAR MAIN SEAL REPLACEMENT

If the seal is made of teflon, it will usually have a spring that surround the teflon opening of the seal. The spring side of the seal goes towards the block.

Front mains and cam seals are basically the same procedure - just total removal of the timing belt assemblies.

Thanks alot guys, thats what I was hoping about the clutch, so I guess thats good news, and suppose I will do and Main while Im at it. Thanks again, I really appreciate the info.

Ok so I finally got the Transmission removed, and I broke off a piece of my spider gear, and it punched about a dime size hole in the bellhousing. So my question is, can I have that hole welded up, or do I need to get a new housing, and how difficult is it to change out that part of the differential?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back