The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Launch RPM's on slicks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8s_are_slow

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2002
Panama City, Florida
Hitting the track tomorrow and Saturday and it'll be the first time launching on slicks in the awd with lots of new parts. I wanna get out of the hole and down the track as quickly as possible (obviously), but without breaking parts however I don't wanna be bogging either. Now I do have the Magnus launch control which I hope will take away the initial hit on the drivetrain. I have a 4 spider diff and double syncros, and also Weld wheels with 26x10.5x15's. But stock axles, transfer case, and driveshaft so I'm concerned about those parts. Been a good while since I've been to the track so launching will be rusty for me but what are you guys launching at? Not really finding much other than for the fwd guys which I'm not. Sure appreciate any insight.

P.S. To help y'all know what I'm working with, I have a 2g with 6 bolt, Groden aluminum rods, 10:1 Wiseco, Forced Performance DSM86 Turbo (3586 basically), South Bend SSX clutch, Magnafuel pump and regulator with -8 lines, 2150cc's, Magnus fuel rail, Ecmlink, JMF Billet intake, S90, etc. etc. and ready to see what it'll do.

what clutch? realistically itll depend on where your boost will maintain with no bog. no comparison, but with a 14b @22psi on 225 width tires and a carbon kevlar clutch, i launch at 5300 with no spin.

maybe do some shake down runs depending on how many runs you can get. start moderate and work your way up based on what you find.

You need to "hit" the slicks pretty hard to make em work the best.

Also, the beauty of slicks is the complete ability to really absorb shock loads,
I have broken way less parts with slicks than with street tires or radials.

Try different launch and boost settings to see what works best fornyou and your setup.
Preload the drivetrain with hand brake, and give her hell

I hit this 1.629 and then blew the intercooler hose. Had bad shifting issues all night. I didn't hit it real hard because someone told me I'd be breaking parts with the slicks otherwise I would have gone harder off the line. Made a practice hit to the side of the track which felt good.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180827-215352_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180827-215352_Gallery.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 97
They stick out a bit but I rolled and pulled my fenders. They're 26x9.50x15's. I forget the offset and width of the wheels right off hand. I'd have to get back to ya on that. Sorry for the late reply.

I figured I should update again but I hit the track last month up in Georgia after being hit by Hurricane Michael. First time going to a 1/4 mile track and I was fighting ignition issues the entire time I was there. Went to the track 3 different times to try and sort out the issues (because I couldn't do it on the street). Tried changing plugs, gap, wires, etc. Finally, on the last run on the 3rd day at the track, it came together after replacing my coil pack. I wasn't expecting it to run good and wasn't expecting a pro-tree either so I didn't launch well (1.793 60 ft), and then was on the rev limiter for half a second because I was waiting for the sputter instead of it running right. I finally shifted and ran it down the track with a 10.9@129 mph at only 32 psi with a rich afr of 10.2 on E85 and 15 degrees of timing.

I plan on cranking the boost, leaning it out some, and doing a better run at the local 1/8th mile track when they open back up to try and get the et's down some once the track opens back up.

Local track opens back up on Feb 23rd although this is an 1/8th mile track. I'll still have a good idea on how it performs though. Drivetrain is stock except for a few parts in the transmission and clutch/flywheel.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back