The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

lack of NASA events at MAM and Hastings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RusherRacing

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 21, 2006
Yankton, South_Dakota
Whats up with that can anyone tell me? I was hoping to get through HPDE's next year, and into some TT. O well that can't happen if I have to travel to Chicago to do it. To me its disappointing since I realy liked the HPDE I was at last year. To bad my car wasn't up to par and breaking ever single event.
PCA and BMWCCA here I come.

Both events didn't sell out and supposedly lost money. I'm told the 2006 and 2007 Hastings events lost a combined $18k for the NASA Rocky Mountain region. :(

The problem in my humble opinion has been the racers and the ability for them to "drop" races. They're allowed to skip quite a few events and not lose points. The problem with this is that growth suffers because the new people are locals doing the HPDE's. Very few newbies are going to drive 6-9 hours to do an HPDE event when they can run at a local track with just about any club.......or even a "Fast Friday" event put on by the track.

I think it's way cool to go to different tracks, watch the NASA wheel to wheel races, and hang out with some really nice, friendly, and helpful guys........but most newbies just want to sleep in their own bed and have their local friends stop out to see them. They're not infected with the sickness.....yet. :D

Unfortunately the Hastings track is pretty far away for both Rocky Mountain and Midwest NASA groups (6 hours for me). Unless we (the RM region) can get some sponsorship for the event it doesn't make business sense to run the event there, as there really weren't that many cars there at the last event considering it was a cross-region event. I tried to get more people out there but we were only able to get 3 DSMers (including myself) out there at the last event. When there's a poor showing it's tough to make a case to go back.

We're trying to come up with a plan for it right now but our regional director has stated that it's not going to happen if we don't get 30 or so more cars than last year to register. Not looking good. It's too bad because I really like that track. It's damn fun.

Thats kind of a bummer. I hope this doesn't affect the new track going in at Worthington MN. I wonder if a new region could be formed utilizing those 3 tracks? hum something to think on.

Unfortunately the Hastings track is pretty far away for both Rocky Mountain and Midwest NASA groups (6 hours for me). Unless we (the RM region) can get some sponsorship for the event it doesn't make business sense to run the event there, as there really weren't that many cars there at the last event considering it was a cross-region event. I tried to get more people out there but we were only able to get 3 DSMers (including myself) out there at the last event. When there's a poor showing it's tough to make a case to go back.

We're trying to come up with a plan for it right now but our regional director has stated that it's not going to happen if we don't get 30 or so more cars than last year to register. Not looking good. It's too bad because I really like that track. It's damn fun.

That is a bummer Chris. We are really lucky here in the Southeast where I live to have several tracks that basically have HPDE's and lapping days pretty much twice a month. Those event always bring around 50 - 65 cars every event. Driving distances are not even that bad pulling the car. At most we travel about 6 hours to get to Road Atlanta. But other tracks are closer, like No Problem Raceway (3.5 Hours), Talladega MotorPark (4 hours). Not too bad if you want to race you know? I hope you guys get some sponsors sorted or can get some more track day events your way. If not, Florida is a nice place to live :D:D

I don't know what the answer is. If there were enough people to form a region out there you'd think you'd get people showing up to the events we ran there.

How do you drum up excitement around a race track?

Luckily for us in the Rocky Mountain region we will likely be getting a new track built much closer to us pretty soon:
Genoa Motorsports Park - Colorado Race Track

Chris - That place looks great !!!!....Problem is, it looks as if they are stuck in Step3. I didnt look to hard into the site, but when is their "Projected" finishing date? Or have they not posted one yet? How close would that be to you?

As for generating excitment around a race track? Jury is still out on the "right" way I guess. I know the series I am running in has been around for 5 years now. They get a lot of local places to sponsor the event. ie Hotels, Eating places, bars whoever. They all chip in and even give discounts to the racers. It works out nice for everyone. They are also working with the lcoal radio and TV stations to try and get some remotes during one of the events. To try and get more spectators to come out and see how the racing is and maybe spark some more new people into road racing. Are there any type of series races out your way or just the same NASA, SCCA type events? Have you or anyone else around you ever thought about putting one together?

Take for instant our last round. We had 49 entered cars competing over the event. That is a pretty good turn out if you ask me. Cars ranging from full blown race ready Vipers all the way down to Spec Miata and open wheel racrers. It makes for a good variety of racing and spectating.

Here is something you also maybe interested in Chris. It seems Fod and Miller Motorsports Park have come up with a new Pro Race Series Miller Motorsports Park. IT will have a race that looks to feature the Rocky Mountian Region of NASA as well sometime around June 13-15th I believe. Not sure if it is apart of the pro events, but it is listed under their events section of their website. I know its all about Ford, but at least it is pro road racing you know?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back